Fuel tank taps

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Julian_S

Fuel tank taps

Post by Julian_S »

An easy question: two taps, left and right. I was told to use the right tap normally with the left tap being for the reserve. Looking at the tank it would appear that there's no difference between the two tank outlets and it really doesn't matter which you use as the reserve supply?

True or false?

Julian
dave16mct

Re: Fuel tank taps

Post by dave16mct »

When you're running out oif fuel its easier to reach for the L/H tap while keeping the throttle on with your right hand!
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Julian , it's true and false :rofl: The taps generally have a feed tube set in the top of the tap inside the tank one is long and t'other short, so in effect it's a false run out level on main tap to give an ample reseve on t'other short one. Well it is on my bikes!
Yes agree with Dave16 a lot easier!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

Ah, got it. That 'feed tube' is probably another term for what I'd call a stack pipe - makes sense. Would I find gauze filters upstream of the petrol taps that need periodic cleaning? My Guzzi had gauze strainers....

Julian
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Julian, if you look under the tank there will be a larger cut out section on the right hand side to clear the rocker box, meaning that there will be more fuel available on the left hand side of the tank when the level falls. There are no upstands or filters on standard taps, although you may fit ones that have them if you so desire.