Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
clive

Re: New Member

Post by clive »

Robert I have not seen such a vin plate on any Matchless in the UK. Is it possible a Vin plate is necessary for registration in Switzerland. The reason I ask is because if you search ebay for "vin plate" in the motorcycle spares a whole lot of new vin plates for various makes of motorcycle turn up. Did not see one for Matchless but I am sure one has come up when i searched for matchless in the past. Interestingly many of the new plates on offer were going to come from Switzerland!
I am not sure if the dating records run as late as 64 but worth asking.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Elefant60

Post by Elefant60 »

Hello Clive
Thank you for your reply. As far as I know, such badges are not mandatory here, but they make the authorities' work easier. I ordered a dating certificate today and am excited to hear the news.
Robert
RSC13

Post by RSC13 »

I suspect the VIN plate is of US origin. I know Ducatis of that period had a very similar badge riveted to the headstock in the US, but generally the frame number was stamped on the frame behind the engine.
Elefant60

Post by Elefant60 »

Hello RSC 13 Is quite possible. The motorcycle was delivered in Los Angeles in June 1959. The Frame number is stamped on the frame.