Lightweight wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Colin Oakley

Lightweight wiring

Post by Colin Oakley »

Hi.
I have just read the article in Tech.Articles by Al Osborne on this wiring, albeit added to the forum a few years ago. I rewired my Model 8 6 Volt with a nice new loom out of the OBM ( no the ebay ones ) These do not come with the resistence wire, which was made clear when I ordered it. The bike is running well, but the ampmeter is acting more like a rev counter. I have to run with the headlights on to keep it down to 4 amps at 40 MPH, otherwise 8 amps. The battery is not boiling over from what I can see. I have a solid state diode fitted ( the small 4 pin type ) and a large plate under the seat which shares the live with the battery. How can I calm this amp reading down.
Many thanks
Colin
Ian5913

Lightweight wiring

Post by Ian5913 »

I would suggest you either need to install the resistance wire to drain things down a little. Or Run with lights on etc (Alright till the bulb blows) - or
Can you not get a boyer power box or something similar.
I know they do one for 12v conversions which again with a new loom is a good option.

Also check the earth and fuse are all good.

It may be worth also having a chat with Paul @
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/

Unless we have any electric experts who can advise on here.

Ian
cbranni

Lightweight wiring

Post by cbranni »

Get a 6v Areg from Goffy and all your problems are over, £32 I think, money well spent, and comes with instructions.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow