AJS model 31 clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
greasemonkey62

AJS model 31 clutch

Post by greasemonkey62 »

Thanks very interesting, but the spring studs look similar to the standard amc studs why didnt you use the usual amc parts assuming I have this right?
GOLDSTAR

AJS model 31 clutch

Post by GOLDSTAR »

did you braze those inserts in the chainwheel slots? nicely done, kind regards
paul knapp

AJS model 31 clutch

Post by paul knapp »

G'day Ray, that is a Norton clutch on my stock? '51 EASY2 Norton. I simply altered what I had ( being a tight arse, I don't buy what I can make) and knocked up a few other bits to make a crappy clutch into a more manageable one. I am not familiar with later AMC clutches, never seen one! If they are anything like this Norton one was, I hope I never see one!

Right on GOLDSTAR, i posted a series of photographs several months ago re the same basket drive slot repair and friction disc modification. I tacked them onto a posting started by a full member. Can't remember which one!
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

paul knapp

AJS model 31 clutch

Post by paul knapp »

....Just had a search GOLDSTAR, and the post was instigated by you on 25 th. February.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

GOLDSTAR

AJS model 31 clutch

Post by GOLDSTAR »

ah you were answering my request for a chainwheel corks etc, I believe you suggested aralditing some pto discs on the chainwheel which I did and, as they say, never looked back, works a treat thank you, cost about £24 plus the tube of araldite, kind regards
sorry Paul I did,mt realise it was you posting, missed the change of deponent and thought it was still Mccorkings, I must try harder!Edited by - GOLDSTAR on 14 May 2012 7:06:35 PM
must continue to try harder because I mean Greasemonkey!! oh sigh!Edited by - GOLDSTAR on 14 May 2012 7:07:37 PM
greasemonkey62

AJS model 31 clutch

Post by greasemonkey62 »

The clutch I am told is a 1950`s 500 Norton one, and luckily AMC clutch studs fit it perfectly along with the cup and springs and spring adjusting screws, I had not realised that parts were being shared at this time, I thought AMC and Norton didnt start sharing parts until after 1960, cheers all.
OEW591

AJS model 31 clutch

Post by OEW591 »

The original Norton clutch also has a two piece clutch push rod that has a large mushroom head that lifts the pressure plate. This makes the pressure plate lift squarely and there is no need to adjust the springs individually. The AMC pressure plate has the push rod adjuster screw in the centre of the plate so the mushroom cannot be used.
greasemonkey62

AJS model 31 clutch

Post by greasemonkey62 »

with regards my last comment it turns out the clutch centre tabs on my "norton?" clutch are 7mm wide, whereas the AJS replacement plates tabs are 10mm wide, so although it does fit not all parts are the same size, the spring studs fit fine its just the plates tabs that are different widths.
Crafty

AJS model 31 clutch

Post by Crafty »

Nice work and well researched.
Crafty