BATCH OF NEW CRANKSHAFT

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
JEAN-NOEL

BATCH OF NEW CRANKSHAFT

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi,
I just renewed my membership and I have not read JAMPOT November issue about a future batch of Crankshaft. I am very interested and I am ready to subscribe for a new crankshaft for my G12 CSR 1965. G15/33 owners were very lucky to be able to get new crankshafts NORTON machined in one piece!
I agree to a cast steel crankshaft, then machined on a CNC, if the price is around € 800 / £ 640. It will be much more resistant than crankshafts casted 55 years ago!
Forged ? It would be great, but impossible for small quantities.
Machined from solid billet there is no need to fear because of supercharged and very stressed V8 are using them.
I have another idea: why not make a pressed on crankshat The advantages are numerous : the shape of the parts (7) is simple to perform by turning and milling, the journal can be heat treated in the best conditions without constraints for the other parts. All big end journals and centre web journal are identical for 500/600/650, two types of flywheels for 500/600 and 650, one timing side shaft for the whole range, three different driving shafts for "cushion" dynamo,and alternator. There would be a great range balancing for touristic use (55/60 MPH) highway (80/85) compétition use (5500/6800 RPM). This technique is successfull used for instance by Manx and G 50 Molnar with so much stress than those which might occur on a G 20 or a 31!
Finally, I do not understand how a crankshaft cnc machined from 4340 billet in UK is so expensive( 1500 €)? A TURKISH company works for many prestigious manufacturers, and I think could combine decent quality at a discount price. US renowned makers sells CNC billet machined cranks at very low prices : 580 $ for for instance for a Ford A cranck of 68 pounds...
Best regards.
bigwol

BATCH OF NEW CRANKSHAFT

Post by bigwol »

The first batch has been ordered and deposits paid Jean, contact Roger Jenner he is best placed to advise.
It's all just riding motorbikes
JEAN-NOEL

BATCH OF NEW CRANKSHAFT

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Yhank you !