Dismantling Jampots - how much hassle?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

Dave, perhaps I'm being stupid, but looking at the diagram of the Jampot leg in the 1956 manual, it would appear that the top cover tube is only able to be removed from the assembly if the entire unit is virtually dismantled, as one is unable to get at the inner tube to clamp it before unscrewing the top pivot. Is that so?

It would appear that the unit's bottom collar is retained by a circlip, in line with the bike's year of manufacture.

Just seen your post Don. Food for thought here. Thanks to all for the input so far - most helpful.Edited by - Mckorkins on 07 May 2012 5:07:15 PM
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Once you've got the bottom fixing ring off (either by peg spanner or circlip removal), the bottom and top covers will slide off the bottom end (including the mainspring and the leather washers). The top cover is clamped against the top clevis unit by the pressure of the mainspring.

Regards Rex
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

You don't need to unscrew the top pivot. You need to make a split clamp to hold the alloy tube under the bottom cover. Then undo the bottom clevis. Cheers Dave.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

dave surely the retaining ring still has to be removed to allow acces to the top clevis ! kind regards
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Dave is correct. To remove the top cover, you have to first remove the bottom clevis, then the bottom cover retainer (threaded collar or circlip, depending on year). The bottom and top covers c/w spring can then be slid off downwards without disturbing the top clevis. Don's tip re. taking spring pressure off the retainer is well worth applying.
Bob.
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

Bob, I think it would probably be a good idea to loosen the bottom clevis first, rather than take it off, otherwise you cannot use it to stretch the unit to get at the circlip or ring.

Anyway, I think you've all given me enough confidence to have a go once I've got the replacement top cover ordered! Many thanks.

By the way, I've just made up a mod for the sidestand to effect its ease of lowering; I'll post a description with pics when I've got a mo.Edited by - Mckorkins on 08 May 2012 09:29:49 AM
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

quote:
Bob, I think it would probably be a good idea to loosen the bottom clevis first, rather than take it off, otherwise you cannot use it to stretch the unit to get at the circlip or ring.

Anyway, I think you've all given me enough confidence to have a go once I've got the replacement top cover ordered! Many thanks.

By the way, I've just made up a mod for the sidestand to effect its ease of lowering; I'll post a description with pics when I've got a mo.Edited by - Mckorkins on 08 May 2012 09:29:49 AM

Quite correct, you've spotted my deliberate mistake!
Bob.
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

I had assumed removal of the unit from the frame.

FYI there's an excellent article in a recent (last 2 years) Jampot titled "Technical Topics - Rebuilding Jampot Suspension Units" by Simon Hoskins. In the article it suggests using a workmate to stretch the units to make getting the circlip off easier. I couldn't get enough distance between attachments to do this but managed to jury rig an equivalent mechanism and it certainly makes life a lot easier. The rest of the article was spot on.Edited by - Cerberus on 08 May 2012 4:49:39 PM
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

Funnily enough, I have just seen that article which used a B&D Workmate. Don't think mine will stretch that far though.

I could fashion a rectangular jury rig out of some old Dexion or angle and use an agricultural fence tensioner that I have to stretch the Jampot unit, which can then be secured within in frame with one end fixed to the tensioner, using one of its clevises, and then the whole contraption can be clamped vertically within a vice to effect the operation. Might work, no?Edited by - Mckorkins on 08 May 2012 7:56:24 PM
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Hopefully just uploaded a picture of how I "stretched" the jampots using front fork stanchion tool/jig.

Posted under pictures http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=2641Edited by - Cerberus on 09 May 2012 12:04:44 AM