Model 8 on long journey fun 2

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
BigAl350

Post by BigAl350 »

Well, I made it to north Devon, cider and a hot shower - 254 miles in all by Lightweight. One minor, fixable breakdown only. Fine otherwise, including around 35 miles on the M5/A30 dual carriageway from Exeter to Okey (Okehampton) at speeds approaching 60 MPH at times.

Fuel consumption - about 65mpg due to flab and 60 Lbs of god-knows- what in the excellent "Swagman" (Swagmen as two of them?) panniers, and spares, tools.

Oil consumption - about 100ml for the engine, about the same for the primary case (still leaks after several goes to sort it out) and around 75ml for the gearbox (slight leak from gear lever shaft - to be fixed soon). One oil leak from the cylinder - not head gasket - could it be the infamous porous casting? Oil seems to ooze out of the barrel. It's very little but a bit unsightly when really thrashed.

Handling - was a bit worrying at times but improved when I pumped up the rear tyre to 40 psi from 28! Obviously, with a bit of play in the swing-arm bearings there's a bit of rear-end steer at times, and all that weight in the panniers, plus me and far too much in the giant top box does not help. I had one very worrying slide on a roundabout - lent to the right - felt like the tyre was moving on the rim, so relatively-low pressure may have caused that. Also some nasty white-lining was noticeable at times.

Road rage. Very little of this...however! Most people seem to accept it's an old bike, driven by a bearded fool, and give me plenty of room as they overtake, and sometimes look and wave too. But there I was, chugging along on the A303 in the Blackdown Hills - a very bendy, two-lane, hilly area with a 50-MPH limit in heavy showers - I was doing my best to hold 50 MPH where I could do so safely, leaving plenty of room for overtakes from behind me as I could. Well...as, I finally came onto the dual-carriageway next-bit of the 303, several cars raced past me, including a nearly-new Range Rover who swerved towards me, blaring his horn...an appalling piece of driving which caused me to take slight evasive action. I took note of his number with a view to telling "the Old Bill". However, I chugged on and then pulled in for fuel - and there was said Range Rover. I pulled up alongside him, propsperous farmer type, Rangie just filled up with diesel. Over the rattling racket of the Model 8, I informed him of what I thought of him, his driving and parentage. Did I mention I am 6ft 8ins tall and "full sized"? Yes I did already and he looked somewhat scared. I think my admonishment to obey the speed limits, that consideration should be given to ALL road users, no matter what or who they are, went home, as a weak and feeble-voiced apology was forthcoming. But best of all, his waspish wife laid into him, saying he was driving "much too fast AGAIN and too near"...So I left him to enjoy the full-scale argument feeling smugly that I had struck a blow for all riders of older machines.

Dog trouble. It seems that certain animals don't appreciate the fine-tuned thunder of a single-cylinder AJS on "full chat". Hedgehogs glare menacingly at me from the side of the road. Birds fall dead from the sky as I snick (erm...more like "clang") the Model 8 into 4th gear. Cows were lowing irritably from the Devon fields - and a bloody brown dog leapt over a wall between Holsworthy and my destination, right at me. Luckily, this aggrieved, obviously Japanese-bike-loving hound, was coming from my right and across the adjacent lane. I thought it was a deer at first so opened the throttle - and left the dog to skitter across the road behind me, eating only slightly-noxious exhaust. The car behind me missed it too. I retuned to the farm it came from on Friday to "have words" but no one was around. I'll be back though, as it's a real danger to traffic - and the dog itself.

Now after a couple of days of R and R (not Rest and Recreation, Repair and Replace) the Model 8 will again be challenged to convey its larger rider back to Reading, via lovely Taunton (did anyone mention cider?). Will it make it? Does anyone care?

AlEdited by - BigAl350 on 20 Apr 2012 10:40:07 AM
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
Flash

Post by Flash »

Al.
Nice write up mate, keep up the good work & whoknows, maybe you will attempt a real long run in the near future but that was a nice route you took to Devon.
Kind regards TT John
BigAl350

Post by BigAl350 »

Thank you John. I'd like to try Lands End to John O'Groats some time but I think a rebore and new piston and replacement of the swing arm bushes will have to be undertaken first.

Cheers,
Al

quote:
Al.
Nice write up mate, keep up the good work & whoknows, maybe you will attempt a real long run in the near future but that was a nice route you took to Devon.
Kind regards TT John
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

You should have done the Westward Ho! Al and carried on from there.
itma

Post by itma »

mega respect Al well done,
the lightweights for all the abuse they get should be easy to make oil tight.

As for 6 feet eight???????
you should be standard kit on any old bike run.

I have a similar tale and a mate of the same build getting out of a Reliant to put the fear of god into a cocky git.

bit cruel on the old model 8 tho?
Edited by - itma on 14 Apr 2012 12:34:39 PM
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Well done AL
only dead fish go with the flow
itma

Post by itma »

Yes this tale has made my day, been in the shed chuckling at the thought of it.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

From someone who is 5ft 6 inches, a big thankyou for your wonderfull story
Sam
RAY BOWMAN

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

Well done Al from a Lightweight lover.
Ray Bowman
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:
Thank you John. I'd like to try Lands End to John O'Groats some time but I think a rebore and new piston and replacement of the swing arm

I have cycled from Land's End to John O Groats so the L/W should have no probs!!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed