Surprise - it's an AMC clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
teckhardt

Post by teckhardt »

I have a ’51 AJS 18 rigid fitted with a Burman B52(GB) gearbox. I have been slowly fixing the problems created by years of previous owners. After a short ride last Saturday, I noticed that the gearbox was leaking severely from the drive side. I decided to open up the can of worms and dive into the primary drive.

Off came the cover along with a mess of dried silicon the previous owner used. I found that the clutch is an AMC version and was loose on the shaft. The inside of the primary cover shows that this is not the first time that this has happened.

Is there any way to properly secure the AMC clutch to a Burman gearbox? As others have noted, there are not enough threads for a proper lock-washer behind the nut.

Do I gain anything by using the AMC clutch? I know it has the internal cush drive but I still have the cush drive on the engine sprocket. Would it be better to find a Burman clutch to replace it?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

1951 AJS 18
itma

Post by itma »

In a nut shell the burman clutch would be best, you could always flog the AMC clutch to our canuck member who is looking for one?
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I had a problem with my hybrid because the box of bits contained a short stroke engine, no shock obsorber and a GB gearbox, I had to use the AMC clutch to get such a thing, [shock obsober] I got over the problem, well it never came off, by using a serrated washer and lots of locktight, now fitted an AMC box, problem well that problem, gone away, as Itma says obtain a burman clutch, not particularly easy, but think laterally, what other machines used similar boxes and clutches, they maybe adaptable to your requirments, as Clint said 'you gotta improvise!' kind regards

Post by 1608 »

Not too sure how the Burman g/box differs. But, an alternative way to help with locking the nut and stiffening the whole unit see Tech articles and wobbly clutch.
teckhardt

Post by teckhardt »

Going to try to find a good way to "lock her down" until a Burman clutch can be had.

1951 AJS 18
wilko

Post by wilko »

Make a sleeve nut.
cf160

Post by cf160 »

Wilco or any member:
Could you explain that ref. to "Sleeve nut" ? How
would that help?
Cf160Edited by - cf160 on 13 Apr 2012 10:14:52 PM
David J.Potter
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

Try to get hold of a "buzz gun" that gets it tight as tight can be.......!
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
teckhardt

Post by teckhardt »

Something else I have noticed about my clutch is that it has a metal band going around the outside of the basket. It is a press fit so it could slide off.

None of the AMC clutches I have seen online have this. It seems like it would prevent the plates from getting oil.

Ideas?

1951 AJS 18
moley

Post by moley »

The basket you describe sounds like a triumph one.