Tapping sound

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
joker7

Tapping sound

Post by joker7 »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if this is the normal sound for EOS DD125 E5 if not what needs doing to stop it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQpoWCYbsYQ

Thanks

Chris
Eamonn
Webmaster

Tapping sound

Post by Eamonn »

Firstly stop revving it - there's something wrong and you could easily be making it worse!

I guess the first and easiest thing to check would be the valves - are they the correct clearance and are they getting lubrication.

Try to isolate exactly where the tapping is coming from - top or bottom of the engine. There an old trick of putting a long screwdriver blade against the engine block and your ear to the handle to try to listen in to where the knocking is loudest. Be careful of the spark plugs though, they hurt if touched when the engine is running!

It's unlikely to be the bottom end as the EOS bikes haven't really been around long enough for teh crankshafts and bearing to give any problems yet - unless someone has been running the bike without any oil in it!!

If you're going to try to fix it yourself and you're not too confident about the mechanics of doing so, try to get some form of manual (I think this was discussed in another thread on here recently?). If you don't feel competent, then get the bike to a dealer/mechanic asap.

Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Tapping sound

Post by Rob Harknett »

Some year ago a chap I worked with asked me what was wrong with his Honda 125 making a tapping noise. I checked the oil first, its was empty. I said, you ever put oil in here Fred, quick as lightning, he replied Never. So I wonder, do you need to start to learn the very basic of running a motor cycle. Or have you learned the frist lesson the hard way. So please get a manual and start reading the very first few pages, ask if you are not sure what something means. We all have to learn at some time. I was lucky when I was 16, an old boy accross the road was always calling me over, lets have a look at your bike Boy. So I learned from him. Dad never had a motor bike. So the old boy accross the road was my motor cycling dad , he looked after and advised me about motor bikes. Could you find such a person near you??Edited by - Rob Harknett on 04 Apr 2012 10:16:08 PM
wilko

Tapping sound

Post by wilko »

Sell it and get a pushbike!
Rob Harknett

Tapping sound

Post by Rob Harknett »

He's got a push bike Wilko, allbeit one with a clapped out engine so has to be pushed.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 05 Apr 2012 12:29:51 AM
bigwol

Tapping sound

Post by bigwol »

quote:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if this is the normal sound for EOS DD125 E5 if not what needs doing to stop it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQpoWCYbsYQ

Thanks

Chris

Thats not a normal sound for any engine Chris, stop running it untill you find out what is causing it before you do more damage! Is it under warranty? It looks shiny new so could be, get it to a dealer if you dont know what you are doing yourself, it will be cheaper in the long run. It sounds to me like it's top end, tappets or cam shaft but other than that sorry, i know nothing about those chinese engines.
Good luck with it.
It's all just riding motorbikes
G15 Roy

Tapping sound

Post by G15 Roy »

quote: Sell it and get a pushbike!

Not the best way to encourage the younger side to our forum.
Roy
bigwol

Tapping sound

Post by bigwol »

quote:
quote: Sell it and get a pushbike!

Not the best way to encourage the younger side to our forum.

Or to motorcycling. But then i'm sure it was said tongue in cheek.
It's all just riding motorbikes
alanjennings

Tapping sound

Post by alanjennings »

A difficult one-sounds on recordings are quite different from being there! I can hear "a tap", sounds light, probably top end. On the other hand some of my old bikes sound worse than that and have run for years! You do need some experienced help!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
dogwheel

Tapping sound

Post by dogwheel »

Even our little UK is quite a big place.
If the lad were to give us some idea of his location, maybe someone local to him would offer practical help and advice.