DynamoDrive chain

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
fump

DynamoDrive chain

Post by fump »

It's a long sorry story but............now I need to re-install my rewound dynamo and replace the dynamo drive chain. But it appears to be mission almost impossible as the new chain I have does not have spring links but instead links that need a special tool to join the chain ends.
Which makes this apparently simple job into a long and complicated process. I would have thought that a simple spring link would do but I am told that because of the danger of the primary chain and the dynamo chain "kissing" spring links are not suitable. Does anyone have experience of this and would like to comment? Any informed comments welcomed..............
Rob Harknett

DynamoDrive chain

Post by Rob Harknett »

Spring links can quite often come apart, if this happens to dynamo or mag chains ,
armatures get damaged and bent. Use continious chains
bigwol

DynamoDrive chain

Post by bigwol »

I had the dynamo and primary chains chains break causing all kinds of damage in the chaincase when the dynamo sprocket came adrift. I wouldnt use spring links after that experience as i consider my self lucky that the clutch wheel didnt get jammed with chains causing the rear end to lock up and throwing me off. It may be a little more awkward to fit continuous chains but much safer.
It's all just riding motorbikes
rex.webb

DynamoDrive chain

Post by rex.webb »

SPRING LINKS are OK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF THEY are FITTED the CORRECT way round !

End of STORY !
And they all lived HAPPY ever after together X.

Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your
Bikes and Scooters.
Insured by Peter James.
r w webb
armstrongdreadnought

DynamoDrive chain

Post by armstrongdreadnought »

......but if the engine kicks back, they are the WRONG way round!
Confident, self assured-and wrong!
bigwol

DynamoDrive chain

Post by bigwol »

quote:
SPRING LINKS are OK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF THEY are FITTED the CORRECT way round !

End of STORY !
And they all lived HAPPY ever after together X.

Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your
Bikes and Scooters.
Insured by Peter James.

I'm perfectly happy to use spring links on the final drive chain on our old bikes but not in the chain case where everything runs so close.
It's all just riding motorbikes
itma

DynamoDrive chain

Post by itma »

we had this subject a few weeks back.
I am with Rex, all my dynamos run with a spring link chain.

set it up right
clive

DynamoDrive chain

Post by clive »

fitting the dynamo chain when installing a newly repaired dynamo is not complicated. take primary chain off and remove dynamo sprocket and chain if currently fitted. With luck you should be able to ease old chain out from behind the engine sprocket although you may need to remove the engine sprocket if there is not enough room. put on new dynamo chain and then link in the dynamo sprocket. Then offer up sprocket to dynamo with chain installed. It will require some jiggling to ensure the dynamo shaft is turned so that the woodruff key engages in the sprocket. once there bolt it all up and reset the chain tension. job done
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
laxy

DynamoDrive chain

Post by laxy »

In bigwols case if the dynamo sprocket came off then things are going to get mangled regardless of whether the chain is endless or not.I dont follow the logic in not doing jobs like this properly.the chain should be endless and the correct locking washer nut and circlip fitted to the dynamo sprocket.going down the road at 60mph with rear wheel locked and buttocks clenched is not my idea of fun
fump

DynamoDrive chain

Post by fump »

Thank you all for your comments gentlemen, much appreciated. The reason I am asking about this is because I have already experienced a chain failure, when the two chains met and ripped each other apart. Fortunately I was doing only 30 mph so the situation while a bit noisy and oily did not result in anything more than an inconvenient stop 10 miles from home.
The reason for the chain disaster was the dynamo seizing up and the dynamo drive chain breaking. After replacing the primary drive chain I have been runing the bike without a dynamo for 5 weeks. But now have the dynamo rewound and fixed up and want to re-install it. I must admit to being reluctant to take the bike apart again especially as it appears I cannot get a dynamo chain that is not a continuous "timing chain" which means having to take the primary drive chain off again. This bike is proving to be a real test of my commitment to it. It appears that everytime I take it out for a 20 mile plus ride something falls off it! It almost lost the centre stand yesterday! Now that could have been very nasty................