Fitting forks LH and RH

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
chrisb

Fitting forks LH and RH

Post by chrisb »

Hi all,
Are the fork legs on the 1949 18 rigid, interchangeable,
are they specifically left and right and how do I tell before reassembly?
Also can anyone tell me which side of the front gaurd the brake cable stay mounts on, is it between the guard and fork or between the guard and wheel?
Thanks,
Regards Chris
SPRIDDLER

Fitting forks LH and RH

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote: Are the fork legs on the 1949 18 rigid, interchangeable,
are they specifically left and right and how do I tell before reassembly?
See the Parts List
http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
The Parts list shows a l/h and r/h slider. Pt Nos. 013632 and 013633.
Visual external inspection of the sliders should be enough to confirm interchangeability or not. They are internally identical.
The stanchions are common to either side.quote:
Also can anyone tell me which side of the front gaurd the brake cable stay mounts on, is it between the guard and fork or between the guard and wheel?
The brake torque arm fits first, against the fork slider with the mudguard bracket outside of it (i.e. next to the wheel).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
zwarts

Fitting forks LH and RH

Post by zwarts »

The reason for the different part nos. for the 1949 sliders is that, for this year only, a brake anchor stay was not used. The brake plate was fastened to the slider by two 5/16" bolts passing through cast in bosses on the left slider and screwing into the brake plate. The cable abutment was also a cast in lug, at the top of the slider -hence no stay. The illustration in the parts book does not show the two different sliders, but does show the brake plate and two bolt arrangement. Chris, if you have an anchor stay, and your sliders are identical, then your forks are not 1949. Not that it matters in the slightest, unless you are a rivet counter!
Bob.
Lance

Fitting forks LH and RH

Post by Lance »

Bob's post holds true for the 1948 fork/brake assembly as well.

Regards,
Lance
chrisb

Fitting forks LH and RH

Post by chrisb »

Thanks you all,
The anchor stay is part of the brake cable holder. So rather than change the forks around ,I will remove the screw in studs that mount the brake cable holder/anchor stay ,and screw them in the left hand fork. Right side of gaurd mounts with bolts, left side mounts with studs, ( slightly longer to accomodate brake /anchor braket.