AJS 18s Axle driving side ruined

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Peter-Karl

Post by Peter-Karl »

In my AJS 18s 1956 are the driving side Axle groove ruined. What should I do? Do I have to split the crankshaft and put in a new Axle? or is there another option? I have the opportunity to come to england and take the engine with me, where is the best mechanic for this work, I do not want to repair itself.
I live in Switzerland this is the reason that my english is not so well.
Regards Peter
itma

Post by itma »

You will need a new axle,oil pump, and guide screw at least; the flywheels need to be spilt, so it would be a good time to check the big end as well.
If you say where in England you are coming to it will help.
There are a couple of excellent chaps advertising in the Jampot magazine.
Do not expect to get it fixed quickly.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Peter-Karl.
What is the damage to the axle? Is it broken?
A photo would help a lot. You mention a 'groove' but I believe a '56 engine would have an alternator (and coil ignition) and not a grooved (splined) drive side axle.
Yes, to replace the axle it is necessary to remove the engine and split the crankcase to remove the axles and flywheels. It would be sensible to replace other parts if worn: Main bearings, timing side bush, possibly the big end.......according to condition.
How long will you be in U.K?
As far as a mechanic is concerned where and when will you be in U.K? Gatwick, Heathrow, Scotland?
I'm guessing but I think you would be lucky to be able to take the rebuilt engine back home unless you will be here for at least a week or so.
Yes, a photo of the axle would help a lot.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Peter-Karl

Post by Peter-Karl »

Thanks for all the answer,
The Axle is not broken. Its a grooved/splined axle it has the number 022563, the splinet part of the Axle is ruined.
I cant upload photos
I go to where the motorcycle mechanic has his workshop.It does not matter where it is. I have time, I can stay for 2 weeks or more. Important is that he is a good mechanic. In this time I can take a vacation and learn English better.
Regards Peter
itma

Post by itma »

apologies, I was in a rush for me tea, ignore the bit about oil pumps, but either side shaft will need the flywheel split.

Neville has had his tea with lots of wine, as a 1956 does not have an alternator.

you will also need the sliding part of the cush drive as well.

there is nothing wrong with your english if you can understand these confused replies
clive

Post by clive »

Russells motors have done this for me in the past
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
nottsSteve

Post by nottsSteve »

Hi Peter
Recently took my flywheel to SEP at Kegworth (Next to East Midlands Airport) and they swapped the drive axle for me as the splines on mine were destroyed too. £35 Labour cost
wilko

Post by wilko »

Migweld and a file!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Russells motors have done this for me in the past

Yes, I'd agree that Les at Russells would split the flywheels and fit a new axle but Peter-Karl mentions bringing the complete engine and I don't think Les would want to strip it.
As a word of caution it seems that the Alpha big end assemblies are out of stock at the usual suppliers at present so it's worth checking availability in case yours needs to be replaced.
Perhaps give T & L Engineering at Bedford (44 1234 352418) a call or see their website www.tandlengineering.co.uk. although I expect they would want to receive only the bits, not the complete engine.
Or Ken de Groome, Cambridgeshire (44 1945 870060) who I think would strip and rebuild.
I have never used either of these companies but as a member you will be able to find the details in their adverts in the Jampot magazine.
There are some very good engineers in the club but they generally have enough fun with their own bikes and may not be willing or have the time to do the work.

Another word of caution - ignore my confusion when I've been at the St Emilion.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 07 Mar 2012 09:58:08 AM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

I agree I think Les Myers at Russells would want just the flywheels not an assembled engine nor even one with just the bottom end still in the crankcases.Edited by - clive on 07 Mar 2012 6:51:45 PM
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix