Rocker box to frame bracket

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Hi, while on the subject of brackets, my 1949 18 rigid 500 single,came with no brackets from the rocker box to the frame. Did this model have these or this bracket? The only place I can see where it would attach to the frame would be the front saddle mounting bolt, any help appreciated,
Regards Chris
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Theres a bracket that fits on top of 2 extended rocker box studs, then clamped on the tube that runs under the tank with a clip.
All parts from clubs spares.
014373 rocker box stay Stay.
010970 Clip
000004 nut x 2 to secure stay to
000011 washer x 2
000363 bolt.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

P S, you should see an angle ground off the top of the stay. make sure the stay is not the wrong way round, the angle ground off = the angle the tube runs down, so the top of the stay clears the tube. The bolt fixing the stay to the clip can soon shake loose. Note theres no shake proof washers listed for the assembly, I would fit them maybe even punch peen the nut.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for your help Rob.
Regards Chris
57G80CS

Post by 57G80CS »

I too have a question about the rocker box stay. I am missing the bracket and clip. Fortunately I see the parts are readily available but can anyone tell me if my 1957 G80CS should have one installed? I first observed this bracket in a detailed cutaway drawing found in a 1959 "The Classic Motorcycle" publication; however, I question the accuracy of other details of the drawing. The rocker studs have the provision for the bracket but don't show signs of ever having one installed.

The spares list indicates this piece is for "all" models, but disassembly instructions from my F.W. Neill publication indicate removing "if equipped".

Just want to be sure. I could see it working both ways, install for good measure or don't install with alloy heads???

As always, thanks in advance.

DougEdited by - 57G80CS on 04 Mar 2012 8:42:15 PM
itma

Post by itma »

always fit a head steady.
full stop
57G80CS

Post by 57G80CS »

Roger that... and many thanks.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Yup. had no idea about a head steady 'til someone mentioned it on a forum some good few years ago, was,nt one in my 'box of bits' so welded a couple of pieces of steel together and then cut it about to fit the two extended cover bolts, made up a bracket for the top tube bolted the home made bit to this works O.K, probably the hard way round as I did'nt know these parts were available! kind regards
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just noticed I never gave the Nut pt. no. for the clip to stay bolt, it will be 26tpi cycle thread to fit (5/16" I believe )Edited by - Rob Harknett on 04 Mar 2012 10:35:17 PM