floppy kick start

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
bigwol

floppy kick start

Post by bigwol »

Was about to leave to take my 31 to Ali Pally - where she was supposed to go on the club stand - started her up, while putting my gear on she stalled so kicked her over again and was a "crack" from the gear box and the kick start no longer turns her over. Will be stripping the box down to find the problem the weekend but would be grateful for any ideas what the problem may be? broken shaft? Will start by removing the cover and see if there is anything obvious, or will i be better off taking the box out if i'm going to have to take it all apart?
It's all just riding motorbikes
zwarts

floppy kick start

Post by zwarts »

I presume it is an AMC box? Sounds like some problem with the kickstart ratchet, a very simple mechanism. You may have difficulty removing the box from the frame without doing a lot of dismantling (depending on which frame you have). It is easy to get at the suspect bits while the box is in the frame, you will have to take off the outer and inner covers to reveal the kickstart ratchet. Just make sure you don't lose the 1/2" ball for the clutch lifting lever (This is the voice of experience here !!) and when reassembling, ensure that the large roller is in place in the end of the camplate quadrant arm before fitting the inner cover back. It cannot be fitted with the cover in place! Before doing anything , just check it is not something simple like the kickstart lever splines stripping. Good luck,
Bob.
bigwol

floppy kick start

Post by bigwol »

No, it isn't the spline Bob, definately internal i'm afraid. As i said, i heard a "crack" as if something broke as it happened! Yes, it is an AMC box and hope as you say it will be something relatively simple. The kick start has never returned fully since i've had it, tried replacing the spring etc, damn thing returns perfectly now just does nowt on the way down! It started too and was running lovely ........... Edited by - bigwol on 24 Feb 2012 4:21:13 PM

floppy kick start

Post by 1608 »

Sounds rather like the k/start pawl. Felt like there was one of those in one of those black bags last night!!

Just a thought, before you start stripping the box. Check that the primary chain hasn't snapped.Edited by - 1608 on 24 Feb 2012 5:04:58 PM
zwarts

floppy kick start

Post by zwarts »

Haha, yes John, that's a very point indeed. It's good advice to check everything between the kickstart lever and the crank before dismantling the gearbox.
Bob.
crawsue

floppy kick start

Post by crawsue »

Also worth considering is moving house to the top of a hill,then just bump start her.....simples! Your welcome!
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
cf160

floppy kick start

Post by cf160 »

I agree with John , Big Wol. It's rather unlikely the chain has broken . Put it in gear to dispel that theory.
I have had the pawl or the pin it pivots on (small item) brake twice on my model 31. The noise is a bit of a mystery as I can't recall hearing anything, but you can see the kickstart pawl on p.31 of F.Neil's manual for twins at the bottom of the diagram of the AMC box. You can download this book from the Download page of the Archives by Christian the Dane. http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop ... 5-1965.pdf
Hopefully an easy job...
David Potter
David J.Potter

floppy kick start

Post by 1608 »

Only suggested the poss of broken chain so as to eliminate all obvious alternatives. Its wrong to jump to conclusions and strip the box and then find out it was something simple, wishful thinking I know!. Christians archives - AMC gearbox, theres a good exploded view showing the k/start pawl etc. etc.
bigwol

floppy kick start

Post by bigwol »

quote:
Also worth considering is moving house to the top of a hill,then just bump start her.....simples! Your welcome!

Yes but then i'd need to always go somewhere with a hill too Crawford, fill up at garages on hills and find somewhere for a cuppa and bacon sarnie on a hill too! Thanks for the suggestion though!
bigwol

floppy kick start

Post by bigwol »

thanks for the link to the archives David, I'll print that off later. I will check the drive chain John, but am pretty sure it's not that as the noise was definately from the kickstart side of the gearbox. I did think kickstart pawl or shaft - which due to the poor return i've suspected of being bent for some time - and Roy mentioned the pin this morning. Hopefully it will be a simple job and not too expensive! I want to use her for the run to the Ardingly show in a couple of weeks. You coming John?
I also thought kick start pawl was one of the "bits in a bag" items the other night John, and am sure it was but dont think it was AMC. Pretty sure it turned out to be from a vello