deleted

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
itma

deleted

Post by itma »

turn them 180 degrees
wilko

deleted

Post by wilko »

They will touch if 180 degrees out. It's mentioned in one of a thousand manuals somewhere?
Trefor

deleted

Post by Trefor »

I had that small grove worn in the top of the rocker box trouble with my '52 G80- a new set of springs cured the problem. I think when they get tired they start to lift off the base plates. (The springs are quite difficult to find)
PGGuse

deleted

Post by PGGuse »

Les, I discovered the very same what you described. As the "slight contact" was more or less just a shiny spot in the rockerbox cover I removed this particular spot by grinding a groove approx. 2 mm deep.
Re "New springs: My favoured supplier from Clifton told me "Personally I don't like the idea of new reproduction springs - some people have told me that repro springs aren't as good as originals. If your original springs are undamaged and not badly worn, I think it is probably better to stay with them."
Paul
PGGuse

deleted

Post by PGGuse »

quote:
I have seen somewhere on the web, an article of how to convert to coil springs and I might do this at sometime. I guess Clifton is in the USA?

May be we can learn from the ABSAF people ?
itma

deleted

Post by itma »

leave the base plate switch the springs
itma

deleted

Post by itma »

switch the plates then exh to inlet,
of course I am aware been riding the bloody things for 40yrs

it may be that you have an earlier pattern of spring perhaps the type where the feet stick into holes ina block
itma

deleted

Post by itma »

I'll keep cool if you dont patronise eh Les?

bottom line is you are not fitting them correctly in some way or other because fitted correctly they dont rub.
simples.

itma

deleted

Post by itma »

Good.
shan't bore you with a list of the bikes I've owned/bought/sold/restored/broken or exported over the years,Edited by - itma on 30 Jan 2012 4:03:17 PM
rgregory

deleted

Post by rgregory »

The two piece crankpin is a bit bendy, the core being 1 inch.

James Holland makes high tensile flywheels with a 40mm crankpin and needle rollers. His stroker flywheels and big bore pistons take the motor to 620cc and revs way beyond your needs (somewhere above 7000 if I remember right).

I have used Jawa and Weslake modified flywheels with their 35mm needle roller crankpin. Also a honda XR600 38mm crankpin with the old fashioned rollers & cage.

The 1964 onwards bottom end uses a much larger timing side roller bearing plus the big norton oil pump so it won't grumble with highly modified motors.

Every time I have used the CI/CE cams I have had lifter breakage. I have limited myself to the SH cams, plus the lightweight model inlet rocker arm to increase lift. No problems yet.

Cheers,

Rob