G12 csr R-Rack

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
owen

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by owen »

I am thinking about fitting a rear rack on my 64 csr,but i cannot find one that looks right and does its job. To carry tools and a gallon of oil ?
The amc one looks good and ok for DL models,but not for the csr,I have a good h-duty Triumph type but not right?, So looking around not a lot of success.
So over to the experts please.

Thanks Owen
Malleon

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by Malleon »

Hello Owen,
Would a Craven grid be suitable for a CSR? If you want to try one for size, take a trip up the M54/A5/A483 sometime !
Best regards.
Rob Harknett

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by Rob Harknett »

Aftyer picking up 2/3 cheap modern'ish racks at jumbles, I eventualy found an all chrome on for my 63 Matchless CSR that fitted and did'nt look too bad. Its used mainly as a grab handle for Jan on pillion. the raised part at the back of the seat. On this is a little bicycle tool bag, with a Flying M logo on it. ( Macio moped I think it came off ) You may spot the rack on my bike in 2011 Alternative pics.
greasemonkey62

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by greasemonkey62 »

you could try motorcycle parts, 26 to 30 Lowgates, Staveley, Chesterfield S433TT.
TEL- 01246290021 I got a reasonable rack for my AJS there.
greasemonkey62

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by greasemonkey62 »

if you look on page 7 of the classic road machines on here you will see a picture I put on of the carrier, its the "1962 model 31 carrier" photo, I had to make the connecting tubes myself from hydraulic pipe as at that time they didnt make fittings for my AJS.
dave16mct

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by dave16mct »

Andrew Engineering used to make a rack specifically for the CSR. Might be worth a call.
ghost123uk

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by ghost123uk »

Owen, did you find a suitable rack yet ?

I too am looking for one, found nothing suitable yet, the JSL / Andrews ones are black and I really want a chrome one. I suppose I could by one and get it chrome plated ?

Malcolm, what is the one you have (had?) like ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John, with a G12, near Chester in the UK
Malleon

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by Malleon »

Hello John,
I will drop it off for you to try, but it is not chromed. Just plain Henry Ford's favourite!
Best regards.
owen

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by owen »

Hello ,Not yet i bought what i think is the craven one, A lot of Triumph bathtubs had them,I think a good looking and strong rack but totally unsuitable for the csr.So the hunt continues,Might sound petty but if it's not right it spoils the line and look of the bike.
I notice that your not far from myself in Shropshire so if you find a suitable one can i pop over for a look. Cheers Owen.
ghost123uk

G12 csr R-Rack

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi Owen (and all)

I agree re it has to be 'just right'

I have put western bars on my CSR (lookalike ) and to complete 'that look' I want a chromed rack that sits fairly high up and slightly sloping upwards at the rear. (pretty picky there then !)

I did email Andrews engineering re the CASR racks they used to make to ask if it was still possible to get one (and have it chromed) but no reply yet. I might try and phone them today actually.

Talk soon

John

I hope to meet you (and many others) in the coming Summer (remember Summers ?) at meets and shows.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John, with a G12, near Chester in the UK