crankshaft 500/600 noddy ??

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
charlieb1954

Post by charlieb1954 »

just muddling through my crankshafts, to build a g12csr engine, i thought i had a noddy but its a 500/600 one. i held crank by splined shaft, tapped with small spanner the 650 one thudded, the 500/600 makes ringing sound. checked measurement from big end to flywheel, 1 1/4 inch. 650 one 1 1/8, rechecked mainshaft to centre bigend, 3/4, 650 one 7/8 inch. i didnt know noddy cranks where made for the smaller twins. can anyone throw any light on this charlie
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

I have a 500/600 crank in the garage. That one rings like a bell too, I always wondered if it was Noddy rather than Meehanite.

I've put my name down for one of those new made 650 cranks so I can rebuild my second engine.

Regards
charlieb1954

Post by charlieb1954 »

glad someone else as the same, i thought about the new cranks, i would like one, just dont like the order in euros, dont know where it will end up, if the euros collaspes it could be wowwwww money. i would if it was in straight pounds shillings and pence, then you know where you are charlie thank you for ure input charlie
RogerJ

Post by RogerJ »

Charlie,

Don't worry about the cost (too much!) for now, initially we're trying to guage interest.

Roger J
charlieb1954

Post by charlieb1954 »

i would order one if less then £600 and in proper money, i have 1 x 650 csr,s , and a 650 mongrel, bit like a g45 i ride and take to the odd 1/4 sprint, i have one noddy crank, came from the iom, being in a engine in a cellar, for the last 20 yrs, the full corroded bike cost 1100-00, but all original numbers, frame,g box, and engine, and a load of goodies, norton forks, g45 front wheel, alloy rimmed wheels etc. now nearly together, but the engine proving hard to dismantle, as the alloy as corroded to all the timing cover screws etc, i keep heating and applying plus gas, its freeing them but slow work, anybody got any other ideas
itma

Post by itma »

drop the lot into a bucket of diesel for a couple months.
keithb

Post by keithb »

I have a spare Noddy crank . Broke my puter one in half back in 1981 going down the Coleraine mountain at 115mph . Only had 29k but it's the overreving that will destruct . Bought the nodular to replace and a spare because i was parnoid about crankshafts back then. Im not a believer in putting in non original parts anywhere on my CSR . Then it's not an original
AJS ! I would call it a Bitsa if i ever put in anyting apart from genuine original stuff .
keithb

Post by keithb »

Willing to sell my unused crank . And it's a nodular (Hate the name noddy reminds me on the cartoon) for less than one hundred quid if you are a proper AJS head . Don't fit aftermarket european bits . Im a true believer in keeping it real .
Groily

Post by Groily »

I'm a proper AJS (or marque) head Keith, with various AMC twins and other things in the shed and used daily. I'd be happy to shell out rather more than that for a decent, let alone unused, 650 nodular (not Noddy then) crank. So, I know darn well, would a heck of a lot of other people though and you'd be advised to cast your net more widely unless altruism alone is your guiding star.
But don't know if you'd want to sell it to someone who is publicly committed to the 'European' option, my having been party to the plan the Club is considering! My 650 crankcases are empty . . . Not even Big Ears or PC Plod has miracled one up.
I quite understand folk not wanting to put funny 'furrin' bits up things - I remember Denis Jenkinson, legendary motoring correspondent and one time monkey for Eric Oliver in the old days of the Continental Circus, saying he wouldn't have a Grand Prix Sunbeam (3 litre car, that is) he had inherited restored, because 'it wouldn't be original'. Thing was, it didn't/couldn't work as it was! It just sat there at Brooklands. Think his heirs saw it differently, as heirs will.
Anyway, if you're serious, you'll have no prob at all finding a very good home for a good crank, here (for choice) or elsewhere!
keithb

Post by keithb »

Stuck 3 pictures of me and my bike in the classic bike pictures check out the 1960 31CSR Groily . I am mabye and probably the only person to own a CSR that i know inside out and has been in the family before i was born .But i am proud that it looks as stunning now and a genuine original machine . Sold the crank to a fellow AJ on thursday and he talked me into parting with 2 new conrods and 2 new pistons and rings that he spotted :-) and he got the lot for 300 quid . Because he was like myself a proper biker ..Thats they way i grew up .. Been pillion on my AJS since i was 3 years old and still love the kickback when it dont get my act together .