29 inside leg !

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
itma

29 inside leg !

Post by itma »

sarcasm born of symathy Jim, I oncehave a Honda CX which I rode many miles and fell off many times but only when stationary. It was a bugger to pick up, an extra 1/2 inch of leather sole on my trusty firemans boots helped but did not totally cure.
en7jos

29 inside leg !

Post by en7jos »

Apparently here in Hong Kong (where the locals are not necessarily the tallest of fellows) it is common to get the seat re-sculpted to give a slightly lower seating position. Not sure how much you could gain this way, or how / where you might get such a mod done in the UK, but thought it worth a mention.

I'm only about 29-30" inside leg and my G3 is fine. By trying to move my neighbours CBR900 lump was terrifying! Could hardly get me leg over or reach my arms around the tank to grab the handlebars! Seemed very precarious perched up there, and the pillion position even worst.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
alanjennings

29 inside leg !

Post by alanjennings »

I too am a "29 incher!'- Why the postwar models were made so high defeats me! I once sat on a"Charlie Borman" and couldn't get any part of my rather large feet to touch ground [size 11 does help somewhat] A tongue in cheek answer is to fit a sidecar, as I did to my V----t many moons ago!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
itma

29 inside leg !

Post by itma »

Or get a rigid frame bike .
wilko

29 inside leg !

Post by wilko »

A B33 rigid is about the lowest seat height i've experienced. [IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/ ... 0_0865.jpg[/IMG]
jim carlow

29 inside leg !

Post by jim carlow »

Thanks for your comments, both serious and lighthearted !
Spose I could have a thicker sole put on the boots, at my age I don't spose I will buy another pair !!
The saddle idea I had thought of spriddler, would it be much of a mod to fit one ?
Apart from the rhumatiz, the high seat would be the thing that poss will make me change the bike in the end.
When I see my brother press the electric start on his Jap bike and then plant his feet on the ground ,makes me really envious
JimEdited by - jim carlow on 06 Nov 2011 10:58:03 AM
Jim
jim carlow

29 inside leg !

Post by jim carlow »

Always had my eye on the BMW 65s, how are they for height ? I know some of you are keen on those.
Jim

Edited by - jim carlow on 06 Nov 2011 11:27:16 AM
Jim
Janet

29 inside leg !

Post by Janet »

I test a bike for seat height before I consider buying it. Even if it's the greatest bike on the planet, if my feet don't reach the floor ( and I don't mean on ballet points) I pass it by.

jim carlow

29 inside leg !

Post by jim carlow »

Fair comment Janet
Jim
Jim
Malleon

29 inside leg !

Post by Malleon »

Ref. the R65, Jim,
I too am vertically challenged, with short (27") hairy (?) legs, and find that my '81 R65 is a good fit; I can keep both feet flat on the ground when stationary,but it is a heavy Bxxxxr to push !
Best regards.