Spark Plugs

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
TommoT

Spark Plugs

Post by TommoT »

I use NGK in all my bikes. For the last 4-5 years the G80 has run on the same B7EVX, which is the non-resistor, platinum electrode version. It has a fine pointed centre electrode, and a pointed side ditto. It works very well, and is particularly good at keeping itself clean. Every time I take it out, I always end up putting it back in doing no cleaning or adjustement. They are fairly cheap at approx. $6/£3. Absolutely recommended, considering I am doing 3-4000 miles a year.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
en7jos

Spark Plugs

Post by en7jos »

On a related note, what plug gap do people go with? The owners manual says 0.015 to 0.018 inch (0.38 to 0.45mm) for the original KLG.

I've always closed the plug up to this previously when (as I know now) my mag was on the way out, but should this gap hold true with a modern (NGK) plug and a rebuilt mag?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don Madden

Spark Plugs

Post by Don Madden »

"Superhet"? I grew up with chrystal sets & regenerative receivers. Don't hold with the modern stuff! Cheers, Don.
wilko

Spark Plugs

Post by wilko »

Don't forget ironheads use a shorter plug.
blythmags

Spark Plugs

Post by blythmags »

Ah....thanks Wilko......can I assume that the N5 plugs come in both long and short sizes or are all N5 plugs either short and/or long ?.
Cheers
Best wishes
John
Malleon

Spark Plugs

Post by Malleon »

All my N5Cs are long reach, so are the N4s.
While checking these, I found a box of new unused Champion L86C plugs, short reach, which replaced the old L7s for iron heads.
Does anyone want them ?
dogwheel

Spark Plugs

Post by dogwheel »

Incandescent Valves, indeed, I've been raking over the old memory banks, was the term not,
"Thermionic Valves"--remember waiting for the set to warm up?
MikeM.

Spark Plugs

Post by MikeM. »

They can be used in Villiers 2T engines
wilko

Spark Plugs

Post by wilko »

Haven't had my old KLG out for years. I forget whether its a 3/8th or 1/2 inch thread on an ironhead?
fump

Spark Plugs

Post by fump »

I find here in NZ it can be hard to find anything but NGK plugs. B7ES is the usually recommended plug, but I prefer the hotter B6ES it looks cleaner after use than the B7ES. I have also had problems with several B7ES plugs with them developing a high resistance internally where the copper conductor is crimped onto the aluminium terminal . This appears quite soon after install, the symptom being hard starting. These plugs have no internal suppression resistor fitted. When new the resistance is zero but after a few miles becomes 10 k ohm or more. They don't all have this problem but I have had at least four recently. Could be a bad batch in the local suppliers store.