Welcome 546 YUG!

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
BigAl350

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by BigAl350 »

After 10 months of owning it, I've finally managed to get my 1960-ish AJS Model 8's registration sorted out with the DVLA, and wanted to share the experience with you all.

I bought the bike in October last year, initially thinking I'd use it for spares to keep my 1960 Matchless G5 Lightweight going. The V5 I received with the bike showed the wrong frame number, but at least it was the same registration as was on the bike. The MoT luckily showed the correct frame number!

After getting the 8 back home, a 120-mile ride, I decided that as it was in really quite good shape and went well I would try to get the frame problem sorted out and would make it into my main Lightweight bike. First thing I did was contact the DVLA, and they asked me to send them the logbook and I had to take the bike for inspection at the Reading (Theale) local DVLA to check the frame and engine numbers, etc.

In the meantime I contacted the club's dating officer to get hold of a dating certificate for the frame in the bike - this was quickly issued and a member from the Newbury section even came round to check that the 8 was what I said it was. It duly passed muster.

The DVLA inspector liked the Model 8 but said that things were a lot tougher now when it came to frame changes, and that I would have to undergo the process required to get an age-related plate. In addition to the dating certificate, I also needed to fill out a V55/5 form to get a first registration document - plus the rather outrageous £55 fee for this!

I had to put things on hold for a few months and finally, after asking my insurance company (Peter James - HIGHLY recommended!) for an insurance certificate just showing the frame number, I went to the DVLA office in person. Unfortunately, the clerk I dealt with though very pleasant wasn't sure what to do! He also mentioned that the DVLA inspection was only valid for six months - and this was nearly 10 months afterwards. So I left the paperwork for him to sort out when an "expert" was back at work at DVLA Theale in a few days hence - and today, I received notification that all was OK, and my AJS had been allocated the new age-related number "546 YUG"! Now I'm off to buy a new number plate and look forward to many happy years together. THANK YOU AMOC dating for all your help!Edited by - BigAl350 on 20 Sep 2011 9:34:27 PM
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
rex.webb

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by rex.webb »

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE
Well done it,s so frustrating dealing with
D V L A . BUT i have known them to be
HELPFULL. I must admit that was some years ago,as i have not re,registered a bike /car for some time.I have some i would like to do "BUT" £55 each time puts me off.
Ride with CARE and LIVe LONG to ENJOY your BIKES and Scooters.
Insured with Peter James.
r w webb
BigAl350

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by BigAl350 »

Thanks Rex - I couldn't have done it without the Club! The £55 fee is really outrageous but in the end, my bike is legal. Probably what they hope I'll think!!! It's a shame that the original registration is gone forever though.

Cheers,

Al

quote:
YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE
Well done it,s so frustrating dealing with
D V L A . BUT i have known them to be
HELPFULL. I must admit that was some years ago,as i have not re,registered a bike /car for some time.I have some i would like to do "BUT" £55 each time puts me off.
Ride with CARE and LIVe LONG to ENJOY your BIKES and Scooters.
Insured with Peter James.
Edited by - BigAl350 on 20 Sep 2011 9:34:56 PM
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
Rob Harknett

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by Rob Harknett »

I waited ages for a new logbook for one bike, I did really forget about it, as I had waited so long. Then one day I got a phone call from the police. Was I the owner of AJS reg. no. ****** frame number ****
No I said, not any of my bikes. fortunatly I wrote the details down. Something jogged my memory about the frame number. Went and looked at the bike I was waiting a log book for, sure enought, it had the frame number I was given by the police.
I phoned back the police and told them, the log book was for my bike, BUT, I did not know the reg. no. as I never recieved the log book. Thats OK the police said, the log book had been passed on to us with your name in it. So we had to check , we will post the log book to you at, the address in the log book. I never asked how they came by the log book, I can only assume it was delivered to the wrong address and that person took it to the police. Perhaps on instructions from the post office.
cbranni

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by cbranni »

Thats good news Al, I had to register my G5 its a right pain and expensive, I see you have a YUG and I have a YUF.
Ride and enjoy
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
BigAl350

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by BigAl350 »

Thanks Colin, I also have 254 XUR which is an age-related plate on my G5.

I'm so inspired by these happenings that I think I'll try to ride the YUG to the Alternative Rally at the end of the month - only about 80 miles X 2!!!!

To this end I've stripped out the clutch tonight as it was slipping a little - new clutch springs will help as the new ones are noticeably longer!

Al

quote:
Thats good news Al, I had to register my G5 its a right pain and expensive, I see you have a YUG and I have a YUF.
Ride and enjoy
Colin
Edited by - BigAl350 on 21 Sep 2011 8:44:41 PM
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
cbranni

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by cbranni »

I changed mine on the 250 on the weekend, made big difference, kickstart only slips a little now, starts first kick.............joy
New springs were about 3 mm longer
BigAl350

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by BigAl350 »

The YUG's clutch never slipped when kicking it over, only when it was hot, and then only a little. I'm not sure what oil was in the chaincase, it certainly produced some lovely sludge - all cleaned out now and fresh SAE50 ready to go in there tomorrow. All the plates were fine, but I cleaned them up and degreased everything (more sludge in the clutch basket, yuck). My springs were about 3mm longer too. The clutch is heavier than before but should be really good when the bike is used "in anger" (i.e. over 50 MPH!).

Cheers, Al

quote:
I changed mine on the 250 on the weekend, made big difference, kickstart only slips a little now, starts first kick.............joy
New springs were about 3 mm longer
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
cbranni

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by cbranni »

Over 50...........thats pushing it!!!
BigAl350

Welcome 546 YUG!

Post by BigAl350 »

It's hit 72 MPH (according to the speedo, anyway, seemed damned fast!)

Potters along nicely between 45-50 MPH, but anything much over this, it sounds very busy and rather noisy, especially as it has rather bad piston slap due to the PO just putting new rings on a worn piston rather than going for a rebore. Goes quite well though and vibration is not too bad.

I am definitely off to the Alternative Rally, hope to see some Lightweight chums there! (if I make it) on 546 YUG!

quote:
Over 50...........thats pushing it!!!
Al Bolton, G4VSQ