1955 G80cs

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Marty

1955 G80cs

Post by Marty »

Having re read Dons original post, I see the problem.
I also have short strokes and have had to delve into their bowels after mishaps. I posted the pics you are refering to.
Come on Don- Fess up. Did the long stroke comps have steel flywheels. I do not know for certain as all of mine may have been changed in the past.
Derek. If you have been offered '54 or'55 road flywheels or crank locally (ie in the same continent) that would be the way to go for the '55. They are not an expensive item until you need to send them across the planet. If you look in previous postings in this section there is a man in Australia named John who is having new short stroke flywheels made. These are what I would use for the G85 project. The short stroke engines put out substantially more power, especially after 1960.
It all depends on what you are wanting to do. Do you plan on racing the '55 ? Most do not. I have put together a spectacularly unsuccessful road engine to race with, the periphery of the flywheels turned down 1/4" to lighten them. and it gave no trouble.
The offer of ROAD flywheels still stands
Cheers
Marty
Don Madden

1955 G80cs

Post by Don Madden »

Mia Culpa! I had been told that the long stroke CS flywheels were steel, but don't remember the source. I did a search for info & Bacon does not mention that & tne spares lists do not show separate ones for the CS & touring. Cheers, Don.
matchyman

1955 G80cs

Post by matchyman »

Thanks you guys for all the input,I am going with roadster flywheels which I have a set of so thats an end to that problem.so I have now been offered a 1962 350 trials G3C but with a norton oil pump engine? I have a 500 short stroke barrel&piston which I could use to make the NOP into a 500 for the G85 replica and I also have a 350 alloy motor that I could drop into the trials frame.so now I need a 500 short stroke head and I'm done.derek