No power from battery.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
matchbox500

No power from battery.

Post by matchbox500 »

I've been tootling around on my newly restored G80 rigid with no issues. However I've just come back to it after a week to find that the horn and lights are dead. The wiring looks fine, there isnt a loose connection in the headlamp or anywhere else as far as I can see, the battery is about 15 months old and is one of those gel type 6v ones with which hasnt been used much at all. I presume that it is the battery at fault. I have left it on charge overnight but still its not working. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Jim Coward
Rob Harknett

No power from battery.

Post by Rob Harknett »

The Gel type battery's need a good boost to get them charging again, a tricle charger is not powerful enough. However when those battery's go totaly flat, even a powerful charger won't kick em in to start charging. I have switched my 4amp charger to 12v. for a short time, To get the neadle moving, then switch back to 6V. I have been lucky, but if they go flat again thats about the end of them, thats as far as using the 4 amp charger is concerned. Maybe a more powerful one would do better.
wilko

No power from battery.

Post by wilko »

Yes, they are inconsistant.Some seem to last forever and some just wont wake up again with a charge.
Rob Harknett

No power from battery.

Post by Rob Harknett »

I had some for many years they stayed up all winter, then my dynamos gave problems and I had to keep re charging them, it was only when they went totaly flat, that I had problems getting them to charge. I was only successful a couple of times, thenthey died.
matchbox500

No power from battery.

Post by matchbox500 »

Found out that the battery is in fact okay, the in-line fuse was dodgy. I checked it out using a short piece of wire in place of the fuse and hey presto, the electrics work. Can you advise what ampage fuse should be in there, as it was fitted by someone else.

Jim Coward
Malleon

No power from battery.

Post by Malleon »

James,
Refer to the Technical Tips article by
Gary Reabow,on Page 2, 'Fuse and Wiring Ratings (Part 1)'.
Very informative !
Best regards.Edited by - Malleon on 26 Aug 2011 10:35:57 PM
wilko

No power from battery.

Post by wilko »

Fuse! what's that?That's not original!
Merlin

No power from battery.

Post by Merlin »

quote:
Fuse! what's that?That's not original!

Rivet counter