G5 Fuel Tank fit

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
shropshire lad

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by shropshire lad »

Can anyone tell me how the G5 forward tank rubber washers are fitted. My G3LS has a thick washer under the tank and thin one under the frame bracket, but the G5 Tank catches on the handle bar fixing bolts if fitted this way. Are there different size washers for this model.

Alan
Rob Harknett

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by Rob Harknett »

Theres one sure way to find out, check the G3LS parts lis,t year? see what the part no. is for the rubber.
Now check the G5 parts list, year ?
If the pt.no's are the same yes the rubbers are the same. You will find the parts lists here. www.archives.jampot.dk You've done it, quicker than typing the question, and me a reply.
Merlin

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by Merlin »

Getting like itma now rob
Chemists do it with test tubes
cbranni

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by cbranni »

Hi Alan you have the rubbers on the right way, thick rubber tween tank and bracket, thin rubber on the bolt. Silly question to ask but is your bracket on the right way? (not upside down), have the stops been butchered?.
Just checked mine I have 3/8 gap tween handlebar and tank on full lock, thats 10mm in new money.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
shropshire lad

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by shropshire lad »

Thanks for the replies. Yes I checked the parts list and bought the washers from our hosts. There is no way a thick washer will sit under the tank without interfering with the steering. The front mount is held on with a single lateral bolt/nut, it can,t be fitted any other way. The bike was bought as `restored` by my neighbour. He reckons that there were no washers fitted. I wonder if it has the correct tank. Over to the experts.

Alan
StuBaker

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by StuBaker »

Hi Alan, the comment about the bracket is worth thinking about, I'm rebuilding my model 14 after some time and yes the bracket can be the wrong way up! The correct way up looks wrong with the 'flat' part underneath and the 'sloping' face uppermost, but it does work with the thick rubbers.
Stu
shropshire lad

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by shropshire lad »

Thank,s Stu, I will investigate and get back to the forum. (nice to get a sensible answer).

Alan
Rob Harknett

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by Rob Harknett »

Maybe tanks do vary a bit, I swaped tanks on one of my lightweights, for the corrrect ( I beleive ) chrome CSR tank. On full lock the tank was almost touched, I just put thinner rubbers on.
shropshire lad

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by shropshire lad »

That,s what I have done. The thin washers give me suffient clearance at the top of the tank and the fork yolk. Thanks for the replies.

Alan
jajo57

G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by jajo57 »

Alan,

I've recently completed a complete restoration on a Model 8 and encountered the problems you've mentioned. If you'd like to send me a private message including your e-mail address I'll get some pictures to you.

Richard
----------------------------------------------------------
Remember, everything is easy when you know how to do it.
----------------------------------------------------------