Courier Boots and a Smile

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
MoggyW

Post by MoggyW »

I thought I'd best start a new thread, the last one got long and very depressing....

I have been warmed and humbled by the kindness, support and wisdom I've been shown by most members of this site, and thought it only fair to properly thank you all!

I have some small experience in old vehicles, like nursing my boyfriend's 68 Tiger 100 round Spain with nothing but a leaky tent and a smile, (which incidentally I can start?!) and my daily drive is a 1961 Morris Mini called Penny (now SHE takes love and maintenance, all done by me), and I am lucky enough to have a very patient and knowledgeable other half/teacher who does hold my hand, but also now sometimes makes while tea, while I work to keep these lovely old hunks of junk on the tarmac.

I agree I was impulsive to buy that bike, I have wanted a Matchless for a long time but didn't do too much research into models. If I had I probably wouldn't have been put off either, being stubborn! I have had many conversations recently with people who feel this bike to be unfashionable and unreliable, but hey, he's mine and someone has to love him!

I did take the "full nut and bolt restoration" description with a pinch of salt, and, as predicted and expected, I'm having to work on it to make it a reliable bike, lots of tweaking and adjusting and tightenting (my spanners are not made of cheese like it's previous owner's appears to have been), however I have not found anything fundamentally wrong with it yet. If there is I still believe in the beauty of old machines - almost ANYTHING can be fixed!

I am not a purist and I know it is very shiny and is incorrect for its era blah blah but when I see all that chrome I picture it covered in road dust after another triumphant leg of a journey! I fully understand the meaning of the word reliable when used in this context - just see my AA premiums for proof!

Ok my amazing turnaround may seem strange, but I was really, seriously having problems starting this bike no matter what I did, I could find no reliable way of starting the thing, it was totally hit and miss and NOT improving, and honestly, it's to be ridden, not an ornament. I kicked, kicked, kicked, changed position, backwards, forwards, left leg, right leg, jumped, huffed, puffed, and generally struggled, got stuck, got sweaty, embarrassed myself, scared myself, swore, practiced, made tea, cried, practiced, and then put it on ebay.

UNTIL THE EPIPHANY.... Did I mention I have very small feet? Well they are tiny - size 2, or 3 with thick socks... when I first learned to ride I had a job reaching between foot rest and brake. I was limited in boot choice so invested in a pair of huge steel reinforced Courier boots - think moon boots or ski boots, made for kids doing MX. I had the brainwave to wear them because my foot hurt from trying to start the thing, and low and behold - VRUM! Every time so far! Maybe it's the position they hold my leg in or maybe it's the extra weight of them. I hope I don't need them forever because they're horrible to ride or walk in, but I don't mind right now because I can START MY BIKE!!!!

I did take it to the Isle of Wight too - well I did ride it in that direction until it broke down on the A3 - one of the clutch springs came unwound and despite open clutch surgery on a roundabout (we even had to file down an allen key to make it Whitworth - it was EPIC!), the central nut holding the clutch could not be secured and I had to admit defeat. A lovely friendly Royal Enfield dealer housed the bike for the weekend for me so it wasn't a disaster, and it's currently in our workshop awaiting more surgery now. But the ride I had before the sinking feeling made it all worth while!

Sorry about the VERY long post, thanks for reading if you made it!

Overly optimistic? Moi?!
itma

Post by itma »

congratulations

learning on your own is a very steep curve, not always upwards.

If you are still talking to me, PM your email address and I will send you the scans of "The Land Beyond the Ridge" which ends with a rather heart warming tale of the authors adventures on a very reliable 250 version.
orbinrangle

Post by orbinrangle »

Excellent news Moggy. Shouldn't worry about those boots, nobody will be looking at them when you go by. Your bike will more than make up for them in street cred.
Stick with us on the forum too. You'll need help and many of us are older than our bikes. That'll mean lots of experience. It also means we grew up when families were the only nuclear things around and ladies talked about fluffy kittens and children and provided domestic bliss and most certainly would not get their hands oily. We're still adjusting to this new fangled equality thing.
You should regard any patronising mysoginistic humour with the contempt it deserves. I can assure you that other club members like myself won't snigger at it.
It's a fun club, a good natured forum and you'll figure it out like you did starting Brian.
R J Rawle
itma

Post by itma »

"mysoginistic humour "

here? with Janet looking on?

who'd dare?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Brill!
The only riders who don't break down are those who don't go anywhere
Controlling ones enthusiasm for bikes is a rare virtue.
If I only had a pound for every well-considered, well-researched, and sensible decision I've made I'd be a very poor man indeed.
Ole!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

MISOGYNIST, not Mysoginist!!! 2/10. SEE ME AFTER CLASS!!!

With apologies to REX for the CAPITALS and EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!

Sincerely Yours

A Pedant

P.S. Well done, Moggy. Welcome to our strange world.
itma

Post by itma »

dont blame me pedant I just copied and pasted......I'm obviously out of favour on this thread anyway.

Any chap who would like to see a lass having no trouble at with a G5 feel free to PM me
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

good decision Moggy, hope you have a long and happy relationship with your G5, I've done 850 miles now on mine and loving it. Only had 4 breakdowns, duff plug in the drive, primary chain broke outside the gate, loose ignition socket up the lane, and shattered clutch cable nipple near friends house, always seems to breakdown in the right place, lucky I guess.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

"ladies talked about fluffy kittens and children and provided domestic bliss"

Really? Is that how the calendar girls are selected each year?

But anyway, great news Kat, knew you'd get there in the end! Keep us posted on your progress.

Have you asked ITMA what the best type of multi-grade to put in it is yet?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

Even folk in "HONG KONG" can be got at if "O?L" is mentioned.Glad to hear G5,s are now in GOOD FAVOUR.I have only riden one and kept feeling for 5th Gear.
Well i would as my Diesel only revs to 3600RPM !.
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY our BIKES !.
r w webb