Starting G80S

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
amara450

Starting G80S

Post by amara450 »

I recently purchased a 1954 G80S after not riding one since 1959. I am finding it difficult to start and sometimes it takes a lot of kicks to get going. Is this normal? Is it just a matter of experience? Where should the Ignition control lever and mixture control lever be set? Any advice welcomed. I also find I have to use the ignition control lever to adjust tickover when stationary. Is this normal?
Rob Harknett

Starting G80S

Post by Rob Harknett »

This is probably normal, so why?
The bike has probably been standing, not used daily anymore, so it sumps oil.
Points are not clean carb not clean.
So assuming the carb, points, plug and leads have been cleaned. Its time to start it, the carbs usualy needs to be flooded, so nice clean petrol in it. I usualy have the air control fully open. As its usual warm if I am off for a ride. Now the advance and control, you say you have a lever, so I guess your bike is early 54 G80. I am sure the SR1 mag was introduced that year on 500's. So a lever you have, I would think starting would be some about half to 3/4 in the advanced possition. You need to discover the best setting to suit your bike. It should not kick back, if it does retard the lever a bit. Once the bike is running leave the lever where it is, keep it running, theres oil in the sump to clear if nothing else. When the bike has warmed up a bit, oil returning OK, no longer bulching out smoke.
Now you can fully advance the lever, if the bike wont tick over slowly, so be it, probably needs a run or two the get parts back in good clean working order. Even then you may have to retard the lever a little for a slow tick over. Dont be too fussy just how slow, then it wont worry you. Next time dont leave it too long before giving the engine a run, or you will have to wake the old thing up again.
alanengineer

Starting G80S

Post by alanengineer »

I brought a 1953 G80 as my first bike back on the road last year. I also had a lot of problems starting the thing.
It just so happend that the Owners club was having a do up at the Woolwich Arsenal, so i went along.
I asked everybody i could find that rode in on a 500 single how they started their bike.
Lots of encouragement and advice and starting is no longer a problem.
I think the advise the previous owner gave me was incorrect and thats why he sold it to me.
You have to understand what all the levers do and practice.

SPRIDDLER

Starting G80S

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Here's the Owners Manual for a '54 G80S. Page 9 tells you how to start it.
http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

When did it last run?
Magnetos can die over time, HT leads perish, slip rings corrode, carbs gum up...........

As Rob says, drain the crankcase. Oil drains down into the crankcase when the bike's not been used for a week or two and this will foul the plug when you try to start it, and fit a NEW plug (Champion N5 from memory) before trying to start it. Don't faff about cleaning plugs - buy a box of 10 and save yourself a hernia or a coronary.
Many will say make sure the petrol is 'fresh' - less than a month or two old - although I've not had any trouble with petrol that's 5 or 6 months old in a motor mower.
You have a brilliant club section in Kent.
Shout again if when necessaryEdited by - SPRIDDLER on 02 Jun 2011 7:33:27 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Max Autobrake

Starting G80S

Post by Max Autobrake »

Exactly as Rob says....... No choke required, 1/3rd away from fully advanced, flood the carb and it'll start. My right leg is slighy iffy after a bike crash years ago so I ease it just over TDC with the valve compressor and it'll start first or second kick everytime from cold.

Unless there are people watching, then it won't start at all!

Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.
rex.webb

Starting G80S

Post by rex.webb »

WHEN FOLK WATCH ?
YES you get all worried and dont do it as usual.
I am sure thats the reason.I allways walk away from any body starting there bike.
Hope all goes well,as i have a new KNEE and HIP in my right leg,i know how you feel.
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your BIKES.
r w webb
orbinrangle

Starting G80S

Post by orbinrangle »

All good advice--it's not difficult when you know how. I tend to leave mine on full advance if I'm going a way, but around town I do use the ignition control to bring the tickover down to something sensible as it's inclined to be a bit fast when warm on full advance. This seems perfectly logical to me.
R J Rawle
rex.webb

Starting G80S

Post by rex.webb »

WATCH IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you leave it on "FULLY ADVANCED" at tickover and it Spits back !!
IT can "CATCH ON FIRE " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Always slightly retard it when stoping at TRAFFIC LIGHTS------- ETC.
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your BIKES
r w webb
Youngster

Starting G80S

Post by Youngster »

Shouldnt a 54 G80S have auto advance?

Too many bikes, So little time!!
amara450

Starting G80S

Post by amara450 »

Thanks one and all for the advice. It is appreciated. Now to put them into action!!! Watch this space.