Rocker feed.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
John B.

Rocker feed.

Post by John B. »

Still trying to sort out this 1948 G3L. Have primary oil circulation OK. Comes through after about 20 secs or less. Been doing runs of 3 to 4 mins on bench but no sign of any feed to the rockers. Took feed pipe off and blew through ,No blockage. Took the four screw little plate off front of engine which the feed is taken off and got flood of oil (engine NOT running) Looks as if it was emptying the oil tank!! Any advice out thar, JB.
g80csp11

Rocker feed.

Post by g80csp11 »

how about gasket incorrectly fitted on take off plate . if there is oil at the plate but not at rockers. kust a thought
Max Autobrake

Rocker feed.

Post by Max Autobrake »

quote:
how about gasket incorrectly fitted on take off plate . if there is oil at the plate but not at rockers. kust a thought

Very sound advice; I did exactly that recently so definitely worth checking. When you put the end-plate back on, do it with the oil feed pipe removed. Once the 4 bolts are nipped up then put it back on.
Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.
John B.

Rocker feed.

Post by John B. »

OK, had to back out to me SHED to check this out. This hopeful detail description is what I found. Lets get orientated first. Looking at the end-plate from the front. Centreline of bike to the right. The plate has a drilling from just above the bottom right screw ( slight bulge showing outside). The gasket was fitted correctly hole in line with this. No other holes in gasket (ex.cept screw holes). Looking at the seating area on the engine there is another hole,slightly larger between the top two screws (no hole in gasket). Took plug out an kicked over briskly. Lots of oil out the large centre spindle hole but none out of either of the others. Blanked the spindle hole with me thumb, turned over, still no oil from either small hole. Have I got the wrong plate??? JB.
wilko

Rocker feed.

Post by wilko »

There's an animated picture showing the workings somewhere?
rex.webb

Rocker feed.

Post by rex.webb »

I am sure its on the Nederlands AJS & M site.
Ride witrh Care and Live Long to ENJOY your BIKES
r w webb
John B.

Rocker feed.

Post by John B. »

More to my blather above. have discovered that the hole the oil for the rockers emerges from is timed. Put pressure into it with good squirty oil can to prime it and found that it appears to be open for a short while when the Exhaust valve is on the move. Seems to suck oil in rather than blow tho. JB.
SPRIDDLER

Rocker feed.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
There's an animated picture showing the workings somewhere?

http://members.ziggo.nl/fxkuyl/plaatjes/pompklaar.gif
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
wilko

Rocker feed.

Post by wilko »

Clever isn't it!
rex.webb

Rocker feed.

Post by rex.webb »

You can watch that Pump for Hours and still not get bored ?.
Well i can ?.
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your BIKES
r w webb