My G5 Dilemma

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight

My G5 Dilemma

Post by 1608 »

Theres a good camp site at Compton Bay, and have a good blast down the Military Road for me please.l
itma

My G5 Dilemma

Post by itma »

didn't take long to get fed up with it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matchless-1960-G5 ... 2a111483bc

My G5 Dilemma

Post by 1608 »

Strange!!
rex.webb

My G5 Dilemma

Post by rex.webb »

WELL what do you know ??
Another AMC bike moves on, the write up says "Good Starter" ?.
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your BIKES
r w webb
cbranni

My G5 Dilemma

Post by cbranni »

Speechless!!
only dead fish go with the flow
MoggyW

My G5 Dilemma

Post by MoggyW »

Well thanks for your support all! I have to say I am shocked too. I'm not sure why I feel I have to justify myself, but here goes:

I have fully paid to become a Jampot member, tried to participate with the club/forum, asking for genuine advice and friendship for the bike I have bought and am trying to love and use. I have not bitten back at the patronising contradictory responses because there are obviously some genuine people trying to help here too, and thank you to them.

If you care to know I am sorely gutted that I have sold my previous bike for this, my dream bike, and now find myself with something I simply cannot use without "supervision," which is hugley demoralising not to say embarrassing.

If it's of any point telling you, I have no idea why it says business seller - perhaps because of the amount of other things I've sold. As for the "mark up," new ebay rules mean the BIN price has to be 40% more than the starting price, which is £200 less than what I paid, and will disappear as soon as someone bids. I thought this to be fair. You disagree.

After stalling on a busy roundabout and having to push my bike through three lanes of fast moving lorries I figure this is becoming less of an annoyance than actually dangerous. So, yes, I am giving up. I feel awful enough about this, and the members of this forum have helped make feel worse.

Again, thanks for all your support.
itma

My G5 Dilemma

Post by itma »

you have had my response to your PM
with an apology for any offence.

However, if before you laid out good cash on what is famously absolutely THE wrong choice of AMC bike for a beginner, you had consulted the vast amount of experienced riders to be found giving away free help and advice on here you would have been better advised, and not be so disappointed.
Categorically the opinion here would be don't buy that bike and after reading the previous owners advert I would have been adamant not to.

I note also that you did not answer my question as to your location, you may have had some practical help from nearby riders if you had .
I apologise for giving offence I do not apologise for my opinions.
MoggyW

My G5 Dilemma

Post by MoggyW »

Of course forums are for opinions, but not slating people - pasting up that I am an "amateur dealer" has upset me greatly, however this seems to have been ironed out via PM.

Lecturing me about not having bought the bike before consulting the forum is not constructive and, dare I say it, again patronising.

For the record there is actually nothing wrong with this bike, it runs (and starts for anyone but me) really very very well. Really this thread has categorically agreed that the problem is with me not the bike!

As an enthusiastic beginner I have been well and truly been burned in asking for help, I hope all Classic bike owners are not so skeptical and unfriendly.

Sharing knowledge about old machines is the only we will keep them on the road, and I hope others out there are more open minded.

itma

My G5 Dilemma

Post by itma »

quote: For the record there is actually nothing wrong with this bike, it runs (and starts for anyone but me) really very very well. Really this thread has categorically agreed that the problem is with me not the biket

I would disagree that its all you. I think the previous owner had a misguided opinion of his abilities, [what the hell does all soldered joints mean?]

Concourse? thats a railway station forecourt.....

But I think you should stick with it for a bit longer before you give up.

and I think you need to thicken your skin a bit if you think you got "burned".

What you got as far as I can still read is all constuctive, even my own slighty "comic" first offering.

I cannot for the life of me see how suggesting you had come here before you bought that bike is at all patronising.
Indeed if you search among 'lightweight" posts you would have gotten a wealth of opinions about these things.
far from complimentary most of themEdited by - itma on 02 Jun 2011 4:17:28 PM
Merlin

My G5 Dilemma

Post by Merlin »

itma will you never learn,not everyone has skin as thick as ours and that's thick with a double KK
Regards as always.
Merlin
Chemists do it with test tubes