Battery carrier dimensions

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Lance

Post by Lance »

I completely agree that the spares lists used the same pictures over and over so they can be unreliable, however, in the case of the 1950 spares list, this was a brand new list with the introduction of the swingarm line and the first appearance of that style of regulator mounting. (The '49 year swingarm list does not seem to have existed as per another thread).

As for what that vertical strip attaches to...here's another link showing the lug on the front of the rear loop for a long bolt to pass through:

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af77 ... -00023.jpg

Regards,
Lance
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

The parts list for 1950 lists "Strip fixing regulator to Battery Carrer" x 1 and "bolt securing fixing strip to battery carrier" x1 .

It would therefore appear that the top end of the strip is not bolted to anything - Strange!!!!

Also the bolt is listed as 1 3/8" x 1/4" Very long for 2 plates bolted together.

Steve
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

Lance,
I missed the new photo link, My frame has this "lug" fitted and I think the 1 3/8" x 1/4" bolt would fit this very well.

Frame is all in bits for painting so will have a look tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help

Syebe
willschub

Post by willschub »

Maybe that refers to the top bolt and the bottom bolt is listed with voltage regulator mountings. Do you have the lug on your frame as shown in Lance's photo? There is no evidence of one on the '53 frame I have.
Bill
wilko

Post by wilko »

I knew i wasn't nuts! At last a picture of the mystery lug. Still seems tatty to have an extra strip instead of one end of reg bolted girectly to the battery bracket and the other directly to the lug. Are we sure this isn't the way?
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

Put my frame together this morning, the battery carrier bracket lines up perfectly with the Lug on the frame.

The strap is a simple way of mounting the regulator and they were into simple ways of doing things back then.

Thanks for all your help.

I think we can assume that if your frame has the lug then the battery carrier should have a straight plate out the side and a sprap to the frame to support the regulator and frames without the lug must use the triangular plate on the battery carrier.

Thanks again,

Steve
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

Lance,

That is a very interesting point you raise about the drawings in the parts list, as you said there does not appear to be a 49 parts list so any drawings of parts affected by adopting the swing arm should be correct.

Will watch for this.

Steve
wilko

Post by wilko »

Part no s '50 battery carrier 014482, '51 016498, '52 and '53 018043????? Yikes!! But wait i'll bet there's more?
wilko

Post by wilko »

Yes i knew it! '54 no is 021062 with no bracket on the drawing??? Wonder where the reg went??
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

From Roy Bacons book.

"The first change was for 1952 with another for 1954 when the cvc was moved to brackets welded to the top loop tube under the seat nose"

I assume the fist change may have been to remove the lug and go to the Triangular mount.

Regards,

Steve