lectriks

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
chris burn

lectriks

Post by chris burn »

Hi, in need of a little advice, I have searched the forum, and am sure it is all there some where, but I don't seem to be able to find it.
I have built a G3L telerigid for back lane potterings, and it is looking good and running well. I need to sort out a battery and wire up the voltage regulator for charging it up, and this is where help is required.
The bike has a dynamo and positions for two wires to come out of it, Question 1, where do they get connected to? (I am looking at a 6VDC + earth here )

I also have a C.Wylde & Sons Dynamo Voltage Regulator Mk V P , this has 5 wires, red and green to earth, black to ammeter, white to dynamo, and blue to 'field'

Question 2, I have a field next door to the house, it has sheep in it, and it is going to take a lot of wire if the bike is to be connected to it !! I am guessing that the blue field wire is the 6VDC regulated out put from the regulator .......... but that is a guess and would prefer to know for sure, and going back to Q1 which connection on the dynamo will the white wire go?
Looking forward to some wise words.
Thanks

g80csp11

lectriks

Post by g80csp11 »

http://www.britishonly.com/pdf/lucas/sectionL2partA.pdf

This will show you the F and D connections on the dynamo for connection to your regulator .

no need to connect your regulator to the field next to your house
chris burn

lectriks

Post by chris burn »

Thank you, will read in depth.
Groily

lectriks

Post by Groily »

Reckon you answered your own q there chris, IF the info you have with the the regulator is correct and IF the regulator is for a 6v positive earth motorcycle-type system. Not a regulator I have ever seen - and Googling C Wylde and voltage regulator doesn't seem to help much - sends me into aircraft electrics and also to New Zealand.
I also say IF because I don't see why there would be 2 wires to earth, and those colours seem non-intuitive. Red to earth in a positive earth system 'intuits' but green doesn't. Some 5 wire regulators require a pair of leads doubling up for 6v operation as opposed to 12v (to carry the heavier current involved at lower voltage) - I think you need to be 100% certain of what the maker intended before hooking things up - unless you already are!
Anyway, if the box is suitable and the colours you refer to are correct, then the blue wire avoids the sheep and goes to the terminal marked F on the dynamo end cover; the white one goes to its neighbour D. The black one goes to the switch or ammeter and carries the supply of regulated juice that supports the battery.

If this is a bike that hasn't had its dynamo hooked up for a bit, it would be worth having a look at it methinks . . . in case you have been lulled into the unsupported belief that it actually works!

In the event you don't want to use Mr C Wylde's device, the standard Lucas box had 4 wires - FADE. F was from the dynamo F, D Dynamo D, A went to Ammeter and E to earth, the whole thing being very clearly marked. Most electronic options I have seen are also dead easy to instal - but as stated above you do have to know what you've got. Some of them regulate on the Earth side rather than the Live (D) side of the dynamo, and various makers use different colours for the wiring.
Hell of a long reply to a very simple question I know, but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe some other folk here are familiar with that particular regulator?
chris burn

lectriks

Post by chris burn »

Wise words indeed,
The regulator in question can regulate 6 VDC and 12 VDC which is the odd earthing multi red green wires, only the red is earthed for the 12VDC set up, not very intuitive as you say, the lights worked when I got the wreck of a bike about 2 years ago, and the battery wasn't up to much then, with good white fur coat on the plates, so I am going with the theory that the dynamo works (or at least did 2 years ago), I did take it apart and clean it, and fettled the commutator, testing will tell. the 'd' and 'f' terminals are not marked on the cover, but the resistance figures in the info provided in the first reply to this post should enable me to identify them .... or take a 50/50 .... or phone a friend, I should have noted which went to what whilst i had it apart ..... I'll get there
Thanks for your help
Duncan

lectriks

Post by Duncan »

Chris

Wydles are a Leeds based dealer "CLICK HERE" if they still sell the unit they may be able to help with a diagram.
petert120r

lectriks

Post by petert120r »

If the dynamo hasn't been used in years you'll probably need to "splash" it to re-establish the field magnetism. With the dynamo on the bike, disconnect the F terminal from the dynamo, run a wire from the live terminal of the battery (should be the negative one) and touch the F terminal on the dynamo, sparking it a couple of times.
en7jos

lectriks

Post by en7jos »

Chris, might be something here of help. Relates to my later G3LS with a different regulator, but could perhaps give you something to go on:
http://www.matchlessclueless.com/how-to ... as-dynamo/

James
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
chris burn

lectriks

Post by chris burn »

Thanks for the responses, what ever did we do before forums.
I did email the Leeds dealer, but got no answer there, this forum seems a bit better !
I think I now have all the info I could need dynamo wise, and will soon be an authority on the subject.
Thanks once more.
John B.

lectriks

Post by John B. »

Hi Chaps, I,m at a similar stage with my G3L (1948). Dyno. is producing zero volts , tested with an analog V meter. Want to try flashing dyno field as it has been static a number of years. HOWEVER!!! my system is NEG. Earth. Reasure me that I leave the Neg. earth connected and flash the F. Dyno. with the POS???