G9 or G12?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
ajscomboman

G9 or G12?

Post by ajscomboman »

Cheeky boy, that did'nt answer the question though did it?
G15 Roy

G9 or G12?

Post by G15 Roy »

The Cs is just fine now with a new clutch fitted.
Roy
bigwol

G9 or G12?

Post by bigwol »

Darn, and there i was all set to give Roy a call and see if i could tempt the g11 away from him with a fiver or two! I'll try to get to the section meet next week and ply him with strong liquor to get a deal done!
Thanks for the input guys, i'll keep my eyes peeled for any of the twins 500cc and over then and see what i can come up with.
I looked at a reasonably priced G9 today, round trip of well over 300 miles and when i got there it had one or two issues. Nice new dunlop rims but the spoke nipples were rusting quite badly so 2 wheel re-builds to replace spokes, nasty cheap levers which fitted badly, dent in the tank, dent in a silencer and some dull paint, new seat cover with a hole in it speedo off a new enfield which didnt look right and i couldnt check as apparently the drive had seized and ripped the cable out. Started great and apart from tappetts engine sounded good, took it up the road and i have to say the gear box was really positive (was a matchless, not burman) but bars werent in line when it was riding straight. Owner had said they were brand new so i pulled over and put it on the stand and it looked like one of the forks may have had a slight kink at the bottom yoke, but i couldnt be certain. After weighing it all up i decided it wasnt that cheap after all with all i thought needed doing to it so walked away (after taking it back of course, i didnt just leave it by the side of the road!)
So back to searching. Might take a look at kettering. of course there's always Roy's '11 ..............
It's all just riding motorbikes
bigwol

G9 or G12?

Post by bigwol »

I've heard the later twins fitted with alternators suffer from weak cranks due to being machined down and are prone to breaking.
Any comments gentlemen?
Don Madden

G9 or G12?

Post by Don Madden »

I have seen only one broken alternator crank. It was mehanite & broke at the outer end of the L/H throw, which is the same size as dyno cranks. Of course, a sample of one means little. Cheers, Don.
bigwol

G9 or G12?

Post by bigwol »

Thanks Don, others are saying although crank failure is not unheard of they are no more common than on other marques. Wont worry about that one then.