tuning 18s

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Duncan

tuning 18s

Post by Duncan »

Kevin
As it is a newly manufactured carburettor the key piece of advice in John’s reply is to clean it. If you have not already done so strip it right down and thoroughly clean it, they use grease or oil on the threads/jets during assembly which may have picked up all sorts of grit and swarf before you fitted it.
redbloke1956

tuning 18s

Post by redbloke1956 »

Hi to all,
I haven't been near the AJS for a few weeks and decided to get back into the flow again.
I would also like give some feedback to all those who had very helpful suggestions ( too many posters seem to get the info they need and don't post results ) anyway, the embarrasing part: the reason my choke was having no effect was that the handlebar choke lever was coming to a stop against the throttle twistgip assy long before its full travel, this took a couple of carb disassemblies to find so in the words of Jeremy Clarkson: I felt like a "proper c#@k"
We live and learn !!! I am now able to get a reasonable idle once warm but am still getting a bit of exhaust popping when I throttle back, more investigating, thanks for the very helpful advice guys, will keep you posted.
Kevin

tuning 18s

Post by 1608 »

Choke lever was fouling on throttle....., I give up!