'53 18S cylinder length

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
willschub

'53 18S cylinder length

Post by willschub »

At the risk of boring everybody I have uploaded a picture of the rockers with questions attached.Could possibly use a bit more power with compression plate removed. (I'm not fat,just big boned)
Don Madden

'53 18S cylinder length

Post by Don Madden »

"A picture is worth a thousand words." Go to photos, parts, singles, pg 4 & compare with my sketch of piston types. To me, it looks like you have a 1960-up G80 piston, which has a different crown profile from the earlier. Late pistons protruded into a deeper combustion chamber, the important area being the outer edge which will collide with earler heads. Cheers, Don.
willschub

'53 18S cylinder length

Post by willschub »

Many thanks, Don. Were they still using wire wound pistons in 1960? I am fairly sure I checked the number under the piston when purchased and that it was the right one according to parts book, but the project has been going on for quite a while now. With compression plate fitted crown of piston is level with spigot.
Many thanks also to ktofthewoefig for the measurement. Haven't had a chance to check yet.
Cheers, Bill
willschub

'53 18S cylinder length

Post by willschub »

Checked 'photo , Don. Looks definately like top left (51-55 original wire wound). Cheers ,Bill