Throttle cable

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
jim carlow

Throttle cable

Post by jim carlow »

Hi all,
Was changing the carb on the G9 when what was a simple job turned into much more.
Got the old carb off and found the spacer broken, then realised why.
one of the studs had been sheared and an oversize one tapped into the manifold. This meant I had to drill out the carb to 10mm and I would have to drill the new spacer also ,once I got it.
Decided to order a new cable for Monobloc as old one a bit past it, also new twist grip, spacer and other odds and ends I needed.
All this arrived from JPS. The spacer came 3/4" thick haven't even got enough thread to get through carb, but thats a minor problem.
The new cable supposed to be the right one for the bike and carb is I should think about 3" too short. That's without a spacer fitted.
My question is, can you buy cable in any length, so I can solder on the applicable nipples to suit the length required ?
2nd query do you start at the carb or the twist grip when fitting ?
Question 3, has anyone ever cut one of these spacers down this one only needs to be 1/4". looks like Bakelite, remember I have to drill it too.
Would really appreciate your thoughts. Jim.

Jim
bob

Throttle cable

Post by bob »

Try vehicle wiring products for the cable , nipples etc.
vehicle-wiring-products.eu
rex.webb

Throttle cable

Post by rex.webb »

" STRANGE " ????????
How can it be both Spacer and Cable do not fit ??
Surley there is only "ONE" type of Spacer for your twin ?
The cable could have been put into the Wrong Place in the Stores ?.
Ride with Care and Live long.
r w webb
SPRIDDLER

Throttle cable

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
2nd query do you start at the carb or the twist grip when fitting ?

I always fit the cable to the carb first (preferably on the bench if it's off the bike) as it's a bit of a fiddle getting the cable nipple down through the carb top and spring into its location in the slide, but it's easy to pull some slack at the twistgrip end.
quote:
Question 3, has anyone ever cut one of these spacers down this one only needs to be 1/4". looks like Bakelite, remember I have to drill it too.

It's vital keep the cut face flat and parallel to the other face if you do saw it but hacksaw blades twist and never seem to cut straight for me. (Blame the tools, eh?). You could get a tame engineer to mill the excess off.
Can you not fit 1/4" longer studs - assuming there is space for carb to fit 1/4" further towards the rear? Competition riders remove one stud and fit a bolt so that they could remove the one bolt and swivel the carb to make quick adjustments to needle position, change slide etc. You could fit two (cut down to length) different size bolts? Frequent removal of a bolt (or a stud) from the alloy head is not ideal though.
The extra spacer length should not be significant.

With careful measurement you could get a two-diameter stud made; one end to fit the carb and the other end larger to fit the head. Be a shame to drill out a new spacer and carb flange
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
paultbird

Throttle cable

Post by paultbird »

Carb spacer for a 1957 500cc twin is listed as part no. 023496, 1/8" thick.

Singles had 3/4"spacers with bigger bore.

http://www.poachers-jampot.co.uk/
jim carlow

Throttle cable

Post by jim carlow »

Thanks everyone for contributions. Have noted the web address for the cable .
The main trouble with this classic bike lark is the time wasted locating stuff (the right stuff)
to get a minor job done. Do you agree ?
This forum though is great , so helpful.
Jim
Jim
SPRIDDLER

Throttle cable

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Carb spacer for a 1957 500cc twin is listed as part no. 023496, 1/8" thick.
Singles had 3/4"spacers with bigger bore.

Oh, I read it that the spacer was 1/4" too thick, in which case I'd guess you've received the wrong one and need to exchange it for the correct thinner one. Cutting off a spacer 1/8" or 1/4" will be a right pain.
Yes, getting the right bits is a bit hit and miss. Some suppliers are better, (more knowledgeable/helpful) than others in this respect.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 03 Apr 2011 1:04:06 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
rex.webb

Throttle cable

Post by rex.webb »

What were the Part numbers of the
Spacer
Cable
You were sent ??
This would a give clue as to the QUESTION ?
Were you sent the correct items OR were they for another model??
Ride with Care and Live Long.
r w webb
jim carlow

Throttle cable

Post by jim carlow »

Hi Rex,
just worked out that cable is an air cable sent wrongly. Got AIR stamped on side of box, should be MC40/29 they sent 38/38 so thats one solved.
Spacer is 3/4 thick 010676 , in H2 section of spares cat. no other spacers listed here. Had no idea thicker ones were made. I can see the number 023496 Spriddler but nothing to tell which is right for what bike.
Jim
Jim
paultbird

Throttle cable

Post by paultbird »

Andrew Engineering have carb spacers for G9's : http://www.andrew-engineering.co.uk/

http://www.poachers-jampot.co.uk/