Magneto Timing

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
RUSHTON

Magneto Timing

Post by RUSHTON »

41 G3L
I am timimng up the magneto and have a question : does the spark occur when the points are opened, or when they close?
I have followed the manual to the letter and set the points, testing them with a strip of paper to check the release, but can't work out when the mag charges up; points closed or open?
R
chasdev

Magneto Timing

Post by chasdev »

The spark occurs just as the points open.
Don Madden

Magneto Timing

Post by Don Madden »

As Chas says, & the mag is charging just before the points open with the current shorted by the points until then. Cheers, Don.
Rob Harknett

Magneto Timing

Post by Rob Harknett »

Dont overlook the advance / retard lever should be set in the fully advanced possition when doing the timing.
chasdev

Magneto Timing

Post by chasdev »

AND for anyone intererested, the reason the point gap is important is that it alters/controls the amount of time the points are closed, during which time the charge builds up, ready for the next discharge.
Wolseley1800

Magneto Timing

Post by Wolseley1800 »

AND for anyone intererested, the reason the point gap is important is that it alters/controls the amount of time the points are closed, during which time the charge builds up, ready for the next discharge.

Commonly known as the 'Dwell Angle'
chasdev

Magneto Timing

Post by chasdev »

That brings up a question that I've been meaning to ask, will my dwell meter function on a magneto system and if so what number should I look for, 30 degrees?
RUSHTON

Magneto Timing

Post by RUSHTON »

Thanks fellas.
I followed the manual but suddenly had a moment of doubt.....R
aobp11

Magneto Timing

Post by aobp11 »

Chas, no, probably your meter will consider 0 V as closed and +12 V as open and switch somewhere between these voltages. The open magneto voltage behaves completely differently. Also, the contact angle itself is less important for a magneto system. Most important are the pole positions when the points open. For an N1, with slotted breaker plate position, this is only influenced by the points gap and by advanced/retard. With too large gap and fully advanced the spark quality might degrade.
Finally the gap determines the speed at which the points open. Too slow will produce heavier arcing between the points. The prescribed gap is probably the best in this respect.
Albert