Front Forks Matchless G12

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
robot
Deceased

Post by robot »

A little advice is needed! I'm trying to dismantle the forks on this wreck of a G12. I cannot remove the sliders in spite of the w/shop manual saying "a sharp tug downwards or if difficult apply a little heat and they will come away easily". They don't. With great difficulty and after much cursing, I managed to get the oil seal out but for the life of me I cannot get the plastic top bush free and out of the slider. I need the stanchions re-chroming but I'm stuck! The G12 is 1961/2. Some years ago I managed the Roadholder forks on my 31 CSR without any trouble but the AMC variety are proving to be a real sod. Any friendly suggestions truly welcomed.
bunners

Post by bunners »

If you look under technical tips, sub section suspension there is a very good tip/method of removing the seals and bushes, I have used this method many time with great success.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
robot
Deceased

Post by robot »

Thanks for that, Bunners - I'll take a look.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yep, "sharp tug" is estate agent speak for a bit of cursing, sweat and tugging. I use a puller made from a piece of scaffolding pole and a long threaded rod.
Rechroming? Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a replacement pair at about £86 IIRC from AMC Classic spares? Maybe I'm up the wrong alley but I always thought chroming was expensive and it wouldn't remove any pitting or corrosion.
And wouldn't the top threads become chromed too?
Educate me please, someone

Later
Which reminds me of the throwaway line in a custom car mag which my elder son had bought for an article on converting his Beetle into a beach buggy.
"Look Dad, it says here that you can just remove the wiring and unbolt the Beetle body and fit the Buggy body, and...." There was a picture of an Adonis in a white polo shirt and 'Good Vibrations' shorts leaning over the front end of a mint condition Beetle unbolting a shiny nut and bolt.
"Yep, a doddle" says I, "Even the spanners are smiling".
Thankfully he changed his mind.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 28 Mar 2011 8:00:30 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
moley

Post by moley »

HEAT HEAT HEAT !!! ( the Alloy)
robot
Deceased

Post by robot »

Thanks, all! I like the bit about the new stanchions from JSL! Messrs Pitted Forks want £176 for re-furbishing - and I suspect + VAT. As for the Heat, Heat, Heat, God knows I practically burnt myself and it didn't work, my son! I'm getting made a suitable device to match the diagram in the Tech. Tips. I'll report next week on the success or failure!.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

No. Just yank it and yank it when its a bit warm. It will come. And you will lose pounds of the waistline(no Garantee)
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Had an absolute nightmare getting the stanchions out on my G9. Heat, two persons.... The problem is that you are fighting a spring inside. Although I haven't tried it, the scaffold pipe and fork pullers option (in one of the tech articles) looks simple, it puts constant pressure on the spring and allows you to rest. Next time, if and when, that's what I'm going to do.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

I can supply a "SCAFFOLD POLE" for your use.
Love to be able to watch the results ??.
Seems to be "SUCH FUN", your having.
Ride with Care and Live Long.
r w webb
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

The Baden-Wuerttemberg solution:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh11 ... CT0662.jpg
Regards Ludwig