Engine knock

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
laxy

Engine knock

Post by laxy »

Ive never heard of a failed big end that cures itself.the spanners are going to have to come out.whether you do this or the dealer is up to you but from your experience so far would you realy trust anything this guy does or says?
bigwol

Engine knock

Post by bigwol »

Yes you are probably right Laxy. I've decided to take her out in the morning unless it's raining and see what happens. Apart from anything else want to see how bad she leaks and where from! Will take her back to kent next week and speak to the dealer once i feel i've unearthed as much as i can and see where i go from there. But no, not exactly full of confidence in the guy or the workshop.
A lesson learned maybe, but no regrets as i at least have an idea of the classics scene now and the good people i will meet as i get more involved.
dave
It's all just riding motorbikes
bob

Engine knock

Post by bob »

Hi Dave
This may be way out but ,
You say there was no knock when you got home , removed gear lever , replaced hoses started it and got the knock ( with the gear lever still removed ) did the knock disapear when the gear lever was replaced .
in short is it possible that the knock was from the gearbox , something out of position when removing the gear lever , which realigned itself when refitting the lever .
bigwol

Engine knock

Post by bigwol »

Hi guys, update on my 16MS woes .
I took the old girl out last sunday as the 'orrible deep knock is now not to be heard! I had a very enjoyable ride out, a good cup of coffee and a lot of admiring glances and complimentary comments, then set off home. Half way back the tool box lid fell off! The thread taking the fastening bolt had been crossed or stripped (and yes the dealer had been in there to fit a solid state regulator and charge the battery when he fitted the new dynamo armature) and the bolt worked loose. Roy Bellet had pointed it out the day before and suggested i put a tap washer on the back of the recieving bracket to help hold the screw - didn't work Roy .
A u turn and walk back from the nearest layby later and i had the lid back complete with dent and scratches No sign of the screw, now ordered from Jampot spares.
Bottom line? No knock now, ran well apart from some hunting which i suspect is down to an intake air leak, although she did get a little tired on the way back and had slight weep of oil from the head. Couldnt see any obvious signs of loss of compression from there.
Can't see me taking her back. If they can either strip a thread on the tool box or leave it like that do i really want them putting spanners to the poor old thing again? With all the other niggles which were ignored or waved off as insignificant i think i'd sooner do any work required myself.
Final decision? I am going to sort the tool box lid as best i can and keep a look out for a replacement, ride and enjoy her through the best of the weather and enjoy making her the best she can be in the winter ready for another year of fun times.
Oh, and sorry Janet, but am still going to get a twin to keep her company if i see one at the right price!
Thanks for all the help and support guys and hope to see you out there soon.
Happy and safe riding everyone!
Don Madden

Engine knock

Post by Don Madden »

Stripped tool box knob threads are common. I fix mine by slipping a speed nut over the threaded tab, instant & invisable with lid closed. Don't know what they are called over there but they are strips of steel, perforated to a given size with spurs that act as threads. They are available in different types, I use the ones bent into a "U" which fit the tab nicely. Cheers, Don.
laxy

Engine knock

Post by laxy »

Hi David, I too have lost toolbox knob out on the road but the worst thing that happened was the lid dropped open but did not detach from the tool box as it is hinged at the rear.It is possible the stripped thread was done by a previous owner but the selling dealer should have sorted this or at least made you aware of the problem.For all he knew you could have showered the road with spanners,spare bulbs cables etc.If youve decided to keep the bike fine,its your call but I would be inclined to ask for a partial refund to reflect the time and cost that you have to find in order to put the machine in the condition it should have been in when they took your money.
Re the "hunting"problem. It sounds like its running rich.May just need adjustments to carb, needle position pilot setting etc but bearing in mind the unknown history I would start by checking you have the right carb the right size and all the right size internals as per the manual its also entirely possible you have all the right bits but in a worn condition.Happy spannering
bigwol

Engine knock

Post by bigwol »

Yes i think it is rich laxy but pretty sure there is an air leak at the carb too. I inyend to strip the carb when i check the gasket and seating, did wonder if it was correct or with the right main jet. Will check condition of needle slider and float height. Hinged? my tool box lid isnt! lol. It has lugs at the bottom, will attach a picture if i can seems that it may be either incorrect or modified then. Hinges broke at some point maybe? Seems i can't attach a picture from my hard drive, have put one in the post war singles parts section of the gallery.
Thanks for the tip Don, yes i know about speed nuts, will get one to fit when the replacement screw arrives.Edited by - bigwol on 02 Apr 2011 10:27:26 PM
rex.webb

Engine knock

Post by rex.webb »

Hi David, how is it you still have your "CHRISTMAS" lights on ??
Are you still waiting for "SANTA to CALL" ?
No hope till December 24th PM .
Unless your willing to put on
"MINCE PIES AND SHERRY"
for him to make a SPECIAL VISIT ?
Ride with Care and Live Long.
r w webb
bigwol

Engine knock

Post by bigwol »

Sadly not christmas lights rex, but a decorative touch by my lady wife who likes such things along with cushions and rugs and curtains and such. Still if it keeps her out of the garage is a small price to pay
bigwol

Engine knock

Post by bigwol »

Update guys. tool box lid bashed out straightened out and refitted with new screw to which i have fitted a couple of nuts to act as lock nuts and lock hard against the (re-tapped) lug. Seems ok but will keep an eye on it. When the new lid comes will do some paint work and put on stickers and be as pretty as before. As for the infamous knock? heard again today, but now seems to be from the allegedly re-built mag. Is it possible some thing is miss-alligned in there to cause such a death rattle? As always any help appreciated.
Being a complete glutton for punishment i intend to go and look at a G9 in the morning to keep the 16 company in the garage. Any issues there i should look out for?
Cheers.