Securing Headlamp Brackets

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
DWS

Post by DWS »

I am rebuilding the front forks on my 1950 model rigid G3L and, as part of the rebuild, I am looking at how the Headlamp Brackets are secured between the top and bottom yokes. The original method is to use long thin studs & nuts (3 in each fork leg) which pass through holes in the bottom of the headlamp brackets, through the holes in the bottom yoke and through holes in the top of the upper fork spring cover, clamping everything together. A nightmare of a job to achieve at the best of times! I have been advised that on later models the studs & nuts arrangement was discontinued and a Rubber Ring was introduced into the bottom of the Headlamp bracket. How does this work?

I have bought a pair of these rubber rings but cannot see how they stop the headlamp brackets wobbling around, especially at the top. The rings are a tight fit inside the bottom of the bracket but the internal diameter of the rings is larger than the Fork Tube. Any advise would be welcome.
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Are the batteries in your camera u/s? Let's have a pic. or two !
See you at Wistanstow.
Best regards.
DWS

Post by DWS »

Hi Malcolm, thought about a pic but it would be difficult to take one showing the problem...

Will PM you re: time/location to meet up at Wistanstow.
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

Are these rubber rings only for the later model 1 1/4 inch fork tubes?

Steve
DWS

Post by DWS »

quote: Are these rubber rings only for the later model 1 1/4 inch fork tubes?

I guess they are, but I was advised they have been used by some people on earlier models with 1 1/8" forks, can't see how as the inside diameter of the rubber rings is 1 1/8" too big to stop the bottom of the bracket moving around. The earlier method of using the studs & nuts at least hold the brackets in place at the bottom and stop them wobbling around. The rubber rings only secure the bottom of the brackets but not the tops. What was used at the top on later models to stop them moving?Edited by - DWS on 16 Mar 2011 1:57:03 PM
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

I think the tops of the brackets were 1 1/4inch and just fitted the tubes.

I have a 50G80S so I cannot check but I remember reading something about these in Roy Bacons book but I don't have this at home tonight.

Someone out there must know

Steve
DWS

Post by DWS »

quote: I think the tops of the brackets were 1 1/4inch and just fitted the tubes.

Looking at the top opening of the brackets the diameter of the opening is a lot bigger that 1 1/4" however, the chrome ring that fits on the top of the bracket does have a smaller inner diameter but not as small as 1 1/4". Looking at the top yoke again, there does seem to be a 'ridge' on the lower surface of the Top Yoke where the fork tube passes through which may well be designed to sit inside the chrome ring to stop the whole assembly moving however, this ridge doesn't easily sit inside the chrome rings I have, being just slightly too big to push into the hole in the chrome ring. Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of 'clamping force' between the two yokes to hold the headlamp assemblies tightly in place. I guess a little work with a file on the inside diameter of the upper chrome rings would enable the circular ridge on the bottom of the top yoke to fit inside the chrome ring, this would stop the whole assembly moving? As for the rubber rings inside the bottom of the bracket, the 1/8" gap between ring and tube could be 'filled' by some method allowing a tight fit?Edited by - DWS on 16 Mar 2011 2:00:55 PM
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

Have you tried looking at the parts list forthe later machines, it might show that a bit is missing.
In a deep dark recess in my brain I think there may have been a change to the design of the headlight brackets when the rubber rings were fitted but I could be wrong.

Steve
DWS

Post by DWS »

Having chatted with a few people on this one I have now worked out why I was having problems. Suffice to say I am going to go with the original securing set-up using the metal rings and screws.

Now all I need is a very long screwdriver, a torch, lots of grease and four hands...
Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi Dave, same as my set-up. I used a 'slot grip screwdriver' to hold the screw as it went up inside the tube. With the top chrome caps, i just used a Dremel to slightly open the hole so the 'ridges' on the bottom of the yokes would fit. From memory, the parts book was okay on this one. Have you fitted the leather washers and the rubber rings to stop the spring rattle? Cheers Peter