Side stand

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
jimbob

Side stand

Post by jimbob »

I found in the end that instead of sticking a blob of weld on I drilled a small hole and put a bolt through. This worked a treat until I put a new tyre on (changing an old dunlop for a new one) the new tyre is a bit deeper and so it just rests on floor. It is stable though. By the way, I opted for a Royal Enfield sidestand in the end. Just needs an extra bolt hole in it and it fits...not sure I trust it fully yet, through!
michael_s

Side stand

Post by michael_s »

quote:
Just needs an extra bolt hole in it and it fits...not sure I trust it fully yet, through!

I wouldn't, as the actual stand is hollow (made of a piece of tube) and I have heard of several incidents with these

Edited by - michael_s on 28 Jun 2012 10:02:39 AM
It´s a barrel, not a watch!
jimbob

Side stand

Post by jimbob »

I'll take a photo of mine tonight and stick it on. Mine looks cast!
Hang on, just looked at the ones on ebay, I think mine might be tubing...will check tonight anywayEdited by - jimbob on 27 Jun 2012 2:08:00 PM
Ozmadman

Side stand

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:
Any photos of your stand parts available for both the centre stand and the side stand. They are normally robust. But I do agree about the tab stops on the main stand. Ian

When I get the side stand off I will take a picture of the broken bracket(the side stand looks like an original) Are there any issues taking it off? just looks like its bolted through the engine cradle. Also regarding the centre stand if I go for the bolt repair option can this be done in situ or do the brackets need to come off and if I take them off do I have to disturb anything else like the spring assembly as it is a pig to fit back I understand.. Just another point,, is it a design fault that to have tight footrests means the centre stand is almost locked in position and the only way for it to be free and come back up is to have loose footrests? I have all the correct washers and spacers either side

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ian5913

Side stand

Post by Ian5913 »

When I get the side stand off I will take a picture of the broken bracket(the side stand looks like an original)
Are there any issues taking it off?
Looks like its bolted through the engine cradle.

# Yes two engine cradle bolts hold the main bracket for the side stand in place.

Also regarding the centre stand if I go for the bolt repair option can this be done in situ or do the brackets need to come off ?

# I would not attempt this in situ, it is fairly easy to remove the dog leg brackets. (new brackets are available rather than adapting what you have)

if I take them off do I have to disturb anything else like the spring assembly as it is a pig to fit back I understand..

# The main spring stand is in the box section of the engine plates. As long as the square foot rest pegs are not fully taken out this should not be disturbed

Just another point,, is it a design fault that to have tight footrests means the centre stand is almost locked in position and the only way for it to be free and come back up is to have loose footrests?

I have all the correct washers and spacers either side.

# I have tight pegs and an operating centre stand assembly. The centre stand swings on stainless spacers the foot pegs but up against these and do not hit or hinder the stand operation in theory! The spacers are also to keep the pegs out the correct distance for the exhaust clearance and side casing clearance.

Ian
Colin Oakley

Side stand

Post by Colin Oakley »

My mate Paul at Southend has just restored his Model 8 which already had a side stand fitted. The day he was going to ride it after all that work the side stand snapped !!! See his full story of the Yahoo AJS website
I tried to buy one from Andrew Engineering, after several phone calls and an email to them they did not bother to come back to me. They quoted abouted £100. Would have been nice if they bothered to come back to me with a yes or no ???
jimbob

Side stand

Post by jimbob »

Ian is absolutely right...It is best to get a new one but if you don't I found it was easy to do in situ. You need to prop it up and if you lower the stand half way you can get to everything!
Ozmadman

Side stand

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:
Ian is absolutely right...It is best to get a new one but if you don't I found it was easy to do in situ. You need to prop it up and if you lower the stand half way you can get to everything!

No-one seems to do the centre stand stops (042582/3) even though Andrews list them a phone call confirmed that they don't in fact have them and it seems that they aren't making any. I must admit I found the guy I spoke with very vague (was supposed to be the manager!)on the subject and even more vague when I questioned him about the L/W centre stands and what they have that will or will not fit. I seemed to know more about what was listed on their site than he did and I think he was trying to put me off saying that the later batch of props and brackets were not up to scratch and were leaning the bikes over too far??? Never did really get a straight answer! any one else get this problem?? Anyway the club do a side stand assembly if you want to pay £125.00 for it. Think I will try to get my one (the mounting bracket) welded and go for a repair of the centre stand stops..
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
jimbob

Side stand

Post by jimbob »

Russell motors are pretty good. Their website is out of date but they use the original part numbers. Not sure is Andrews do!
Ozmadman

Side stand

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:
Russell motors are pretty good. Their website is out of date but they use the original part numbers. Not sure is Andrews do!

Yep Andrews use the original part numbers purely for reference and Russell Motors don't list the brackets nor do the club

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8