Side stand

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
jimbob

Side stand

Post by jimbob »

Has anyone ever had a side stand on a model 8 or a G5? Is it possible, is it worth it?
rex.webb

Side stand

Post by rex.webb »

I am sure ther is a stand listed in the JSL list.
Its up to you ref Price ?.
But its so easy i find against getting the bike on to the Centre Stand.
Ride with Care and Live long.
r w webb
jimbob

Side stand

Post by jimbob »

Thanks Rex. Must admit I was unsure as the frame on the underside of the engine doesn't seem to lend itself to a sidestand.
BigAl350

Side stand

Post by BigAl350 »

Yes, one can be fitted and I've seen several Lightweights with them but they are very expensive.

Apparently, it's possible to modify an Indian Enfield stand to do this at a much lower cost (£25 or so for the stand) but I've never found out exactly what needs to be done - there is an article in a Jampot magazine from a few years ago about it.

Al
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
Rob Harknett

Side stand

Post by Rob Harknett »

A certain old Jawa side stand will go straight on a lightweigth without any modification.
This is at the expence of a left hand pillion footrest. As this is where it fits on.
jimbob

Side stand

Post by jimbob »

Am I just being lazy?
RAY BOWMAN

Side stand

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

Hi
I bought a side stand from JSL a couple of years ago. It fits under the frame just behind
the drain plug on a plate. Although a bit
expensive I found it to be very handy.
Ozmadman

Side stand

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:

Hi
I bought a side stand from JSL a couple of years ago. It fits under the frame just behind
the drain plug on a plate. Although a bit
expensive I found it to be very handy.

They are very handy but has anyone had one break??? now I am faced with this scenario, can anyone offer any advice please?

My Model 8 side stand has just collapsed dropping my newly renovated(finished it today) bike onto the kerb!!! forcing me to now use the centre stand and I hate it!!!. I don't like using it firstly because I am not confident pulling the bike up on it and feel I may overbalance etc and drop it. Secondly it isn't very stable (unless you carry a piece of wood around) It seems to not stand on the flat part of the legs but I think it goes a bit further forward that it should meaning that it stands on the curved part of the legs if that makes sense??? The brackets are bolted to the under frame so can they be rotated back a bit does anyone know as this would change the position of the "stop" and make the stand actually stand on the feet. BTW has anyone had a side stand collapse? I have had a quick look and the bracket which spans the engine cradle has sheared right where the rod of the stand hits the stop..
Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
beesy

Side stand

Post by beesy »

i had the same problem with my centre stand (the stand going too far forward so that both wheels still touch the ground), the problem was that the 'tabs' which stop the stand had stretched over the years.

the fix was to put a bead of weld down the mating face of the tab so the stand doesn't rotate too far forward, the rear wheel is now about 1 1/2 inches off the ground. you also don't get the lurch when pulling the bike up onto the stand.

Ian5913

Side stand

Post by Ian5913 »

Any photos of your stand parts available for both the centre stand and the side stand. They are normally robust. But I do agree about the tab stops on the main stand. Ian