Electric's Mod 20

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
ianselva

Electric's Mod 20

Post by ianselva »

quote:
I brought a plate last year so they are easilly available and not to expensive.

Material is tufnel.

Or even Tufnol.

Ian
paul knapp

Electric's Mod 20

Post by paul knapp »

Brian, if you want Bakelite, or the modern equivalent, hobby shops selling radio/electronic parts should have it. Or, if you open up an old television set, you are bound to find a suitable piece. The printed circuit board is made of the stuff, just scratch off the copper track.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Karaokebrian

Electric's Mod 20

Post by Karaokebrian »

Thank you Paul. Gosh, have not heard that word for years, Bakelite. Remember my first Real portable radio was made of the stuff. that was after I progressed from a crystal set back in the 40's. Too far back for you to remember young man. Think I remember something about a cats whisker, but it might have been someone pulling my leg. I was quite young then. :-) Gd on ya mate.
Malleon

Electric's Mod 20

Post by Malleon »

Thanks, Brian,
You have just stirred the grey stuff between my ears and reminded me that my dad built a crystal set for me in the Whispering Forties, cat's whisker, headphones and all. It derived power from an 'accumulator' which had to be carried to our local garage to be charged up (quite frequently!).
It didn't really compare with my grandchildren's computer science, but I had great fun trying to tune in. Thanks again for the memory, as Bob Hope said.
Best regards.
Karaokebrian

Electric's Mod 20

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Malleon, Yes I have just remembered that we had another big set which as you say had to have an accumulator charged by a garage which was 2 miles away and had to be carried there and back. also if my memory serves it had two dry batteries, a I think 120 volt and a small one, (I think it was a GB battery or something like that). as you say, stirring the grey matter.
ianselva

Electric's Mod 20

Post by ianselva »

quote:
Brian, if you want Bakelite, or the modern equivalent, hobby shops selling radio/electronic parts should have it. Or, if you open up an old television set, you are bound to find a suitable piece. The printed circuit board is made of the stuff, just scratch off the copper track.

Printed circuit boards are more often made of Tufnol or fibre glass, bakelite is a brittle plastic that I dont think has been used since the 50s

Ian
Merlin

Electric's Mod 20

Post by Merlin »

I remember being a Lab.Assistant at a school and reverse charging 20 accumulators or La Clonchei(not the correct spelling I am sure) cells
Chemists do it with test tubes
alanengineer

Electric's Mod 20

Post by alanengineer »

Back to the subject. i think i paid about £3.00 and it comes with its captive screw. It must have been that cheap cos i brought 2.
Not woth starting a drill up for.
wilko

Electric's Mod 20

Post by wilko »

In the olden days when i knew nothing of regulators, i was constantly burning out armatures because i kept cranking up the regulator for higher output, but in the end if you set them for 7.2 volts they last forever.An occasional points check is all i've done in 6,000 miles.