G3 Competition Exhaust

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
iandusud

G3 Competition Exhaust

Post by iandusud »

I see that in the spares list the C and CS models have different part numbers for both the exhaust pipe and the silencer. Can someone please tell me how they differ?

Thanks, Ian
Don Madden

G3 Competition Exhaust

Post by Don Madden »

What year? Cheers, Don.
iandusud

G3 Competition Exhaust

Post by iandusud »

Whoops, '56 engine in a '55 frame.

Ian
Don Madden

G3 Competition Exhaust

Post by Don Madden »

Up to 1950, trials & scramblers were the same but in 1951 the "C", trials & "CS", scramblers were introduced. Both had alloy cylinders but the trials engine had a low state of tune for tractability & the scrambler set up for racing. The trials pipe was routed for maximum ground clearance the the scrambler a tucked in low pipe for power.

The 1956 trials bike were modified for that purpose with high pipe tucked in & fitted with a silencer. The CS for that year was a short stroke with cams that would not tolerate any silencer or other restriction.

I don't know what combination you would use for a 1956 engine in a 1955 frame. Cheers, Don.
iandusud

G3 Competition Exhaust

Post by iandusud »

Hi Don. When you say the '56 trials bike had a "high pipe" do you mean above the timing chest or just upswept?

Thanks, Ian
Don Madden

G3 Competition Exhaust

Post by Don Madden »

Through the 50s the trials bikes used a low pipe that passed over competition footrests & kicked up at the rear. I have seen later ones with the special trials chassis with a high pipe tucked in inside the riders knee feeding into a box like silencer. I do not know the year of change nor if this exhaust was standard. Look in the photos competition section, 2nd page, "Finished" for a good view. Cheers, Don.
iandusud

G3 Competition Exhaust

Post by iandusud »

Thanks Don. I think the "high level" pipe was either non-standard or very late. As to the low level pipe that kicks up I can't see looking at any photos or AMC brochures any differences between the trials and scrambler models, however different part numbers are given?

Cheers, Ian