Gearbox 18CS

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
harrisrotax

Gearbox 18CS

Post by harrisrotax »

Also gearbox numbering is not familiar for.

I have gearbox which is stamped M14916S.

Are the letters familiar for someone?

In my knowledge M = AJS and S = Scramble?

Is this true or false?

Best regards
les ward

Gearbox 18CS

Post by les ward »

I think you are right. When the AMC gearbox was introduced in 1957 it was fitted to AJS, Matchless and Norton bikes. M indicated AJS/Matchless and N Norton. During the 1960s this changed to MA for AJS/Matchless and NA for Norton.
Many of the competition gearboxes had a T or S at the end of the number and I think this stood for trials or scrambles.
If Roy couldn't find your gearbox number in the records for the road bikes then this would indicate that your gearbox came from a competition bike where the factory ledger with more precise information hasn't survived.
Hope this helps.
alanengineer

Gearbox 18CS

Post by alanengineer »

Am i right in saying that A whole complete gearbox was available from the bike shops if i wanted to go and buy one. If this is so, are their any records to show they were sold seperatly.
harrisrotax

Gearbox 18CS

Post by harrisrotax »

Hi

Thanks Les for your help.Just curios to find out information not making any matching number attempt.

In finland was not possible to buy any bike you wanted.There was special restrictions to buy a car or motorcycle as new from western world to late 60`s.
For example Manx,AJS competion machines from uk were mostly only 2-3 pieces imported yearly with special permission.Few more street machines maybe 8-10 pieces.
For example in my hometown from 1950-1963 there is non BSA Gold Star Clubmans registered during that time period.But more then 100 000 motorbikes from east.Jawa,CZ,Pannonia,IC,MZ,Simson etc.
For example finnish historic motorcycle club has only 3 members who has AJS registered in 1958,4 members AJS registered in 1959.
Most british bikes are imported as used and from sweden by finnish sailormen during 1950-65.
les ward

Gearbox 18CS

Post by les ward »

Hi Alan,
I think the parts lists do show complete gearboxes however the records only show the gearboxes fitted to complete bikes. If you email Roy at dating@jampot.com with the gearbox number I am sure he would look it up for you and see if there was any trace of that gearbox.
alanengineer

Gearbox 18CS

Post by alanengineer »

Thanks for that, but i will do it when im closer to needing the info. The date on the gearbox is good enough for me, i dont want to get too tangled up in numbers.Its whats inside the box that makes it work.