Competition Tank

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
iandusud

Competition Tank

Post by iandusud »

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a petrol tank for my G3LS greenlaner project. I have the original steel tank but would like to fit something smaller and more befitting of an off-roader. I've been scouring Ebay for ages but anything that comes up goes for silly money. So I think I'll have to buy new. Sammy Miller list a fibreglass one, but having phoned them they tell me they are no onger supplying them, bening very wary about modern fuel and fibreglass. I know the Tank Shop in Scotland would make one for me at a price, but I would like to have this year!

Help!!

Ian
itma

Competition Tank

Post by itma »

iandusud

Competition Tank

Post by iandusud »

Hi Ken. I have thought about doing something like that, but as I don't have gas welding facilities I'm going to have to pay for any welding work, then there's the paint work, plus any leaks that might need repairing, plus rust treatment... After that a nice shiney new tank might not look too expensive!

Cheers, Ian
Merlin

Competition Tank

Post by Merlin »

£350
Chemists do it with test tubes
bunners

Competition Tank

Post by bunners »

Sammey Miller products sold me one of those plastic tanks 9 months ago, I was assured by them that their supplier was using a different compound/composition that was imperviouse to modern fuels, you have now got me very worried if they have now withdrawn it due to concerns. having said that it has had fuel in all over the winter and it has not gone soft and spongey as yet. touch wood. I see there is a solution called KREEM similar to petseal on ebay that is of American origen which claims to be ethanol proof has anyone ever used this stuff? I am thinking it may be an idea to use it just in case.Edited by - bunners on 16 Feb 2011 4:02:19 PM
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
Don Madden

Competition Tank

Post by Don Madden »

Forget Kreem or any other one-part sealer. Caswell two-pack is recommended for plastic tanks & has been successfully used for some time. There are other brands but formulations do change & some may be suitable but until they have a history, I will stick with Caswell.

There are many kinds of comp fuel tank & each frame type has different mounts. First, you have to know which fits to avoid welding up mounts. Comp tanks do turn up in the US, usually pricey but not always.

Cheers, Don.
chasdev

Competition Tank

Post by chasdev »

I don't know much, but I DO know Kreem is a terrible product and a real nightmare to remove once it starts to flake off and drift around inside the tank...
itma

Competition Tank

Post by itma »

I had an interesting chat with Burlen fuel systems re this subject a month or so ago; I shall have to write it up for Chris.
They gave me some bumf which is too long to repro on here.

They reckon a lot of the problems in the US, and especially California are down to rogue fuel stations/suppliers mixing the ethenol themselves, in stuff bought in from outside the US ie Mexico.
It evidently can only be done safely at the refinery, something to do with it serparating out in the fuel storage bulk tanks.
RogerNorman

Competition Tank

Post by RogerNorman »

You obviously haven't loooked at the adverts in Jampot. We currently have in stock brand new Comp Tanks but the bigger capacity units (although you wouldn't know from the outside).
iandusud

Competition Tank

Post by iandusud »

quote:
You obviously haven't loooked at the adverts in Jampot. We currently have in stock brand new Comp Tanks but the bigger capacity units (although you wouldn't know from the outside).

Hi Roger. When you say we do you mean JSL? If so are you refering to the P11 tank and if so does it fit a '55 H/W frame? Is this a steel or alloy tank?

Thanks, Ian