oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
McBob

oil filter

Post by McBob »

The manual suggests to remove the second piece with the engine warm
http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Owners_manuals/1963_AJS_All_Models_Instruction_Manual.pdf page 20
greasemonkey62

oil filter

Post by greasemonkey62 »

ok thanks all, I will have a go thursday and see what I can dig out.
cheers again Ray.
Don Madden

oil filter

Post by Don Madden »

I will have to jump in, although much good advice has been given. Up to 1960 the twin oil filter in the engine case was fabric, hand stiched over a wire cage by the same patient lady with pride. It had aluminum end caps & a spring, designed to push the filter off the end & allow oil flow if the filter clogged. The oil pressure relief valve was a various locations until 1956 when it was deleted.

By 1960 the factory admitted their mistake & placed a new oil pressure relief at the bottom, lower end of the filter tunnel, requiring a shorter filter, a screen soldered to the none- return valve which served as a cap.

A couple of years later, the factory decided the wire screen wasn't good enough so added a wrap of felt wired to the wire screen.

In 1964, since filtration was still deemed inadequate for plain bearings the pressure relief valve was relocated to the oil pump mounting plate & the original felt filter was fitted.

It is no wonder that there is a lot of confusion as to the filter configuration & the actual bottom end model year is important to determine the proper setup. Do inspect cases & filter to see if they are proper for each other.

Cheers, Don.
McBob

oil filter

Post by McBob »

My bike (1963 model 31) has the setup shown in illustration 7 page 18 of the above manual.Edited by - McBob on 17 Feb 2011 07:12:29 AM
greasemonkey62

oil filter

Post by greasemonkey62 »

Cheers all, my model 31 is registered as a 1962 but I am assured it must be an early 1963 model and I am fairly sure my filter set up is the same as McBob`s, I say think because the nut has a none removable ball and spring within the nut casing, then after that is a loose spring, after that I cannot say for sure as the concave end cap is stuck tight, I have tried a steel rod with a hook bent on the end pushed through the end cap hole to try to pull it out but it wont budge, the end cap seems to flex a little on the bottom edge but the top edge is stuck really tight, I think I will have to go for a run and get the engine hot as advised and try to whip it out before the engine cools.
Thanks again to all, Ray.
MikeM.

oil filter

Post by MikeM. »

Don, do you think as I do that Ray has the wrong filter assembly, surely he should have the one piece assmbly that is felt covered?
Don Madden

oil filter

Post by Don Madden »

As I previously said, he must compare his engine with the specifications of the various year models. I do not have all the info in my head but the details I posted were according to the spares lists. If he has the oil relief plunger in the filter tunnel, only the shorter fixed wire guaze filter will fit. If he has the alloy cap, the cases are pre-1960 or post-1963 or the filter was modified the fit the 1960-63 cases. He must get the filter out somehow & look into the tunnel for the relief valve, which can also be seen under the timing cover as a small button below the exhaust cam gear. I double checked the spares lists that 1964 was the year the oil filter reverted to multi-piece felt & the oil relief valve relocated in the pump plate but, of course, cannot rule out errors, overlapping configuration or what the engine acually is.

To further confound the problem, the owner says that the bike is a 1963. In mid-1963 the factory stopped year stamping the engine cases. I have seen 1963 with year code & others without. After then the year was not stamped.

Cheers, Don. Edited by - Don Madden on 18 Feb 2011 01:01:55 AM
wilko

oil filter

Post by wilko »

Yes i had a late 650 with just X90xx for the engine no. with the release valve in the pump body but not the 3/8in through studs.
McBob

oil filter

Post by McBob »

I've been told the numbers put my machine at 62/63 change over period also, maybe there is an anomaly at this point or perhaps we have been struck by the same artful bodger, either way I'm having a closer look.
McBob

oil filter

Post by McBob »

This is what I found

with this lot in it

to get the stuck cap out I warmed the cases and used a cut down allen key tightly held in mole grips inserted in the outer hole of the cap, alternated sides until it popped out.
It only took a gnats of the time I needed to figure out how to get photos onto this interweb thingy.
Edited by - McBob on 18 Feb 2011 11:56:11 AM