oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
rayswadling

oil filter

Post by rayswadling »

If it's any help, my engine is as below, a bit higher number than yours. Gives an indication of date of your engine though.

"Engine G12CSR/x9884 was a 1964 model that was produced in Dec 1963 and shipped to the USA"

My engine has no valve in the filter tunnel (the tunnel is just a blind hole in the timing side case), the filter is a felt one with the inner end cap and then spring-loaded alloy part at the other end in case the filter clogs. The pressure relief valve is on the oil pump body.
greasemonkey62

oil filter

Post by greasemonkey62 »

ok cheers so mine was 384 before yours then, and the filter system sounds the same to me.

Cheers Ray.

oil filter

Post by 1608 »

This thread is getting a little confusing. I BELIEVE some of you are refering to the ball and spring vave, as shown in McBob's photo, as a relief valve in case the filter gets blocked. I thought this was a non return valve to prevent oil draining back down from the rockers. The relief valve is incorporated in the pump body on the later models. The relief valve will only let the oil have a free passage into the crank case if the filter blocks and will not assist in feeding the big ends etc. The relief valve fitted to car and modern engines actually bypasses the filter but still allows oil to the necessary bearings. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Don Madden

oil filter

Post by Don Madden »

AMC guaranteed confusion by referring to the filter bypass valve as the "relief valve" & the one the bypasses excess oil pressure as the "oil relief valve". Look at the pics in the 1960 spares list which clearly show this configuration. The non-return valve is not mentioned for the 1960-63 twins as it is part of the "Filter, felt, assembled". More confusion as the 1960-61 had no felt & for 1962-63, they just wrapped a layer over the mesh screen. To bad the manual author did not acutally work on the bikes. Cheers, Don.
MikeM.

oil filter

Post by MikeM. »

So it seems that the filter make up for the '63 onwards models returned to the pre '60 types. I have learnt something from this subject that has been discussed for I thought that from '60 onwards the filters were the same, apart that is from adding the felt back on the wire mesh again.
McBob

oil filter

Post by McBob »

Thanks for all the information, hadn't looked at the '59 spares list before but that is it alright.

info: Note that the pictures posted earlier do not show 018120 Seat for oil felt filter
eng # 31/x93**
Don Madden

oil filter

Post by Don Madden »

The spares lists show the change was in 1964 & Bacon agrees but he gets his info from such manuals so agreement does not mean that much. Cheers, Don.
rayswadling

oil filter

Post by rayswadling »

To add more info, my copy of the F. Neil book says the pressure relief valve was relocated to the oil pump plate on engine numbers after 8912.

Don Madden

oil filter

Post by Don Madden »

That could explain some of the conflicts. X8912 is very close to the end of 1963 engine production. Cheers, Don.