Help on Dynamo Please.

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Friends, Please can you help? I have AJ Model 20 fitted with Lucas E3L-LI0 Dynamo which no longer charges and my friend Mike at the Battery Centre tells me is because in his opinion the armature has gone to earth. Please can anyone give me advice on how to proceed from here or suggest the most cost effective way to get back up and running again. (I think I might well have the orginal 6 volt cut out and regulator fitted) (Dont know if thats important but I thought I would throw it in just for good measure) :-) Thanking you in advance, any help will be very much appreciated. Brian.
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Or what I forgot are there any links on any forum that I might be able to get any info from. Sorry.
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Sorry Eamonn, I now realise I should have put this artical in the "Help" Column, sorry, won't happen again. Shall I copy a paste into that section?
A Moderator

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by A Moderator »

A moderator has done it for you. Smack hand
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Thanks Friend. Next the health, the most valuable things in the world, Friends. :-)
laxy

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by laxy »

Hi Brian, sorry to hear your dynamo is playing up.Using the forum search facility you will find plenty of advice on how to test the dyno on or off the bike.If after doing all the checks the armature is to blame for the failure as you already suspect then a new armature can be obtained from Jampot spares for about £58 with your discount.Easy job to replace with no special tools required if your patient.While its in bits it may be a good idea to replace the bearings and seal as they are not expensive and once overhauled it should then give good service for many years.
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Thank you Laxy, Thank you for all your good advice that I will follow it exactly tomorrow morning. Itma has sent me a link to assist with testing, but I am pretty sure that Mike will be certain that that it is where the problem lies. Thanks again. Will let you know how it all pans out.
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Thank you Laxy, Thank you for all your good advice that I will follow it exactly tomorrow morning. Itma has sent me a link to assist with testing, but I am pretty sure that Mike will be certain that that it is where the problem lies. Thanks again. Will let you know how it all pans out.
paul knapp

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by paul knapp »

Hey Brian, while you are contemplating your next move, check this out and you can see that you are certainly not alone. I recon we have all been there at some time or other!

http://www.britcycle.com/Manuals/prince_of_darkness.htm

But on a more serious note, you might find this more helpfull!

http://www.edknet.de/Download/LUCAS%20GENERATOR.pdf

Cheers,
PaulEdited by - paul knapp on 18 Jan 2011 09:02:54 AM
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Guys, Things progressing. Mike says bearings are fine, (will obviously replace that orrible cork gasket between Dynamo and crankcase that I can never get to seal really good) We tried hard to resolve or final question. Is there any form of seal aroung the armature shaft into the dynamo. Mike found a little oil inside the dynamo case. Tried hard to find any refecence to it in diagrams. Hi young Paul, Thanks for your contribution all the way from Auz and again thank you to everyone else for coming to my rescue.