Help on Dynamo Please.

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

O'ops sorry, missed the U. Should read... hard to resolve our final.........
Groily

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Groily »

Should be an oil seal in the drive end monkey-metal plate retained by small screws between the drive pinion and the body proper (round the nose of which goes the gasket you mention). They're often worn, and so's the collar they run on on the armature, so worth sorting. Most likely reason for oil on the inside, definitely. If you'd had to replace the bearing that end you'd have stumbled over it by now!
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Groily, Thanks friend. No, Mike has done nothing to it yet but confirm that the armature is kupt and the bearings he is happy with. The idea was that I would order all the required parts in one go. I did contact Jampot spares to ask their advice as to what bits they recommend I fit as well as The armature and cork gasket but Louise could not help. I did try hard to look at the exploded view and parts list to the E3L but could find no reference to any seal or collar that you have now mentioned. I will obviously have to dig deeper to find these other parts other that the 10210 & 1472 which I have noted. At least you have helped me a lot by telling me they exist. Your help is appreciated.
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Back again Groily, After studying the Lucas Workshop Instructions, I have found reference to nut "R" at the drive end and they say WHEN an oil seal is fitted, be careful. So it looks as if it is better that Mike strips it down first to find the collar and IF a seal is present. Then I will then have to see if I can find if Jampot have them in stock. Getting there. Watch this space!!!! at the moment.Text
wilko

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by wilko »

When you assemble the collar make sure it goes fully home. Perhaps reversing it will provide a new surface for the new seal?The seal will probably found at any bearing place.
Groily

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Groily »

On one of these bikes, an oil seal should definitely be there. The collar may indeed be reversible, haven't tried that. Not all E3L fitments used exactly the same monkey metal plate or seal arrangement. Not sure what the Nut 'R' is, but there's a hex-headed screw and tab washer which hold the drive pinion on, plus a woodruff key or two keys.
If I was doing this job, I'd replace the oil seal as a matter of course and the brushes and maybe the springs up the other end.
I'd check the Field Coil looked OK and showed a resistance between ends of say 2.7 to 3 Ohms (6v standard winding). And I'd clean it and stuff it back together.
Then I'd motor it on the bench with a battery connected as on the bike, probably positive earth, to check the rotation was correct, and to polarise it correctly at the same time.
And then I'd get an electronic regulator to look after it properly, but that's another story and a matter of personal choice!
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Guys, Thank you for advice. Ordered new armature, seal, collar and cork seal this morning. Will pass on all the tips you have given me to Mike. Will look for info relating to electronic regulator now, to see what that's all about.
RUSHTON

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by RUSHTON »

quote:
Hi Friends, Please can you help? I have AJ Model 20 fitted with Lucas E3L-LI0 Dynamo which no longer charges and my friend Mike at the Battery Centre tells me is because in his opinion the armature has gone to earth. Please can anyone give me advice on how to proceed from here or suggest the most cost effective way to get back up and running again. (I think I might well have the orginal 6 volt cut out and regulator fitted) (Dont know if thats important but I thought I would throw it in just for good measure) :-) Thanking you in advance, any help will be very much appreciated. Brian.

Hi!
Check out the Birmingham to Berlin Website, under the REME page at the bottom is technical information you ma find useful. R
Karaokebrian

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Thank you Rushton, Found BriminghamtoBerlin website and the article, very helpful, REME is now at the top of the page not bottom, I think. Very kind of you to take the time. Kindest Regards. Brian.
Groily

Help on Dynamo Please.

Post by Groily »

If you want to think about electronic replacements for the old Lucas CVC box, then you're into a world of choice these days.
The most well-known offerings include JG boxes, V Reg II from AO, and the DVR2 from Manor Technologies. I've had at least one of each, but currently run 3 DVR2s on my dynamo bikes and reckon they're very good at 12v or at 6v, + or - earth. No problem in lots of winter lights-on miles, kind to batteries and to dynamos and they are fit and forget.

Although it is obviously possible to get good service out of properly set-up old-style mechanical boxes, I reckon the modern options are better. One bike I have has had the same dynamo guts for well over 20 years of continuous use, first with a JG 12v box and latterly with a DVR2. Decent lights, excellent regulation and long battery life as well.