Clutch Operation

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Mike D Arthur

Clutch Operation

Post by Mike D Arthur »

Newly restored "53 M20 is giving me grief. When the clutch is fully "IN" the moving cam plate G-33-3 lifts to its maximum but then sticks refusing to return. Result no clutch.
NB: The clutch is the four plate, four spring no adjustment type.
Any advice for a cure would be welcome.
Thanks Mike.
iandusud

Clutch Operation

Post by iandusud »

Assuming that you've correctly adjusted the free play on the pushrod via the screw and locknut on the pressure plate, with the cable completely slackened off, I would suggest worn componenents in the camplate assembly.

Ian
rex.webb

Clutch Operation

Post by rex.webb »

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you a Lever on the Handlebar that is moving the cable to far ??.
The centre distance from the
PIVOT hole to the CABLE Nipple HOLE
MUST be 7/8 Inch !!!
Ride with Care and Live Long
r w webb
clive

Clutch Operation

Post by clive »

I take it you have the B52 box. If there is a click from the gearbox towards the end of the clutch lever movement then I would suggest the camplate is coming over its furthest acceptable point. You need to slacken off the cable totally and readjust the pushrod so that the plates are just not lifting with the cable slack. Then retension the cable leaving a little slack and it should lift without the click, and return. Actually you don't need that much lift to have a clean clutch action. Problems with it not running freely when pulled in are usually to do with the spring tension not being correct so the pressure plate does not lift totally flat, or burrs on the clutch basket. Good luck in getting a clean lift and return.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
wilko

Clutch Operation

Post by wilko »

rex.webb

Clutch Operation

Post by rex.webb »

WELL ????????????
The same trouble arose with a friends AJS.
It was the Lever !!
It was pulling the cable to much,this turned out to be a Lever with 1inch Hole to Hole dimensions.
Not th 7/8 Inch as is normal.
Ride with Cars and Live Long.
r w webb
Mike D Arthur

Clutch Operation

Post by Mike D Arthur »

Thanks guys, I shall check the lever dimension 1" or 7/8" however I do know that the cable has little slack and no further adjustment available, even with the lock nut removed, guess I may have to shorten the outer
iandusud

Clutch Operation

Post by iandusud »

Have you checked the pushrod adjustment?

Ian
Mike D Arthur

Clutch Operation

Post by Mike D Arthur »

I found that both of my bikes ('55 G9 & '53 M20) have real mans levers with the 1" centres. I shortened the outer cable to give lots of free play which has resulted in a clean lifting clutch and no"click" at the gear box.
NOTE TO Ian. The four spring pressure plate has no facility for adjusting the pushrod whereas my '55 has. Thanks

On another topic, how many aluminium primary chain case sealing bands were there?? This basket case came with 2, one is too small and the other now fitted seems to be too large since it does not provide what I think is a neat fit.
wilko

Clutch Operation

Post by wilko »

I've never come across any repro or originals that didn't fit after 40 years! Maybe only the latest stuff is wrong.