Powder Coating ? A bit of advice please

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
owen

Post by owen »

Having Mulled over, To Powder coat or go for an Enamel finish on the frame of my g12.
How much of the bike frame do you send off,ie Just the frame and swinging arm,Do you do the tinware such as it is, The Tinwork around the forks and the footrests, mudguard stays ect or do you paint them up yourself.

Thanks Owen
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Click on 'Forums' (top of this page) then 'Search Forums', enter 'powder coating' and you'll get info, including this:

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/topic.asp? ... Title=Help
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
itma

Post by itma »

powder coating? don't is my advice.

whatever you choose will you separate frame and swing arm beforehand?
don't expect painter of whatever ilk to do it, it'll come back solid
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

this topic has been aired before, I have two experiences of powder coating one good one not so, 20 odd years ago I had the frames of a p/u bonne and an early commando p/coated and the finish was so good where the thicknrss of the coat had reduced the width of engine mounting lugs between the lower rails on one frame I had to take an angle grinder with heavy grit on a pad to remove some to allow the engine in, a couple of years ago the G80cs and a small Enfield frame were p/coated by the same firm but I noticed the procedure had changed in the intervening years, the two latest coatings I find to be very brittle compared with the earlier ones which seem bombproof, it maybe I suppose that less application or care was taken on the second occasion I do'nt know, probably best you look at some previous work done by your chosen p/coater before commissioning any enamel would probably be easier to touch up, or think about base coat and 2 pack laquer durable and hard, kind regards.

ianselva

Post by ianselva »

This may sound a bit negative but, the stove enamelling done by AMC can never be replicated. I have found problems with all the finishes over the years.
I think which process you use depends a lot on how good the base metal is . If your frame is rust pitted anywhere this will show up with powder coat as I believe its not possible to use any filler before the coating. If it is pitted , probably 2 pack is best as that can be used with the right filler. The main drawback with stove enamelling is that while the enamel may be fairly hard the primer/filler underneath is not so it chips quite easily, almost as easily as cellulose , which I use mostly now for its ease of touching up .

Ian
bunners

Post by bunners »

Owen I have had six of my seven bikes powder coated and one enameld. As yet I have had no problems with the powder coating, it all depends on where you get it done, I use Goldburn Finishers in Borden Hampshire. (check them out on the web)the items are de greased grit blasted, etch primed, primed and then powder coated, the finish is superb. on both tinware and frame. It is usual to remove all fittings such as bearings and swing arm etc threaded holes and studs are masked etc. But if you are looking for a show bike finish go down the enamel route but its a heck of a lot dearer.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.