g3l compression

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
wilko

g3l compression

Post by wilko »

I presume your on the wolseley forum? If so, i posted a few pics of the ol'days of 6/80, 6/90/ 4/44 awhile back.
Wolseley1800

g3l compression

Post by Wolseley1800 »

Not on forum, had bad experiance with the Wolseley Register.
Do visit occasionally.
bombardier

g3l compression

Post by bombardier »

well how did this end up going on about the old land crab,my uncle had one and what a comfy car too ! my dad had a maxi now that was a car !
any way thanks to all for the help and advice problem sorted tappets had wound themselves tight,well not TIGHT but tighter than they should be.
bike now has lots of compression and the exhaust note is lovely, and it goes like my fj1200 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well almost.
ps anybody know of any rideouts etc boxing day around the worcester area.
Dick Hobart

g3l compression

Post by Dick Hobart »

Well done Christopher - I hoped that may be all it was. A lot easier than faffing about with pressure guages and taking the wet from the dry! (There's an old joke there but it's too risque for this forum!)
Good luck with the wedge fetish!
Cotswold VMCC have a run out from The Royal Oak, Andoversford on Boxing Day at 10.00, which I guess is about 25 miles from you depending on which side of Worcester you are - that's if you don't mind mixing it with the plethora of Ariels they seem to ride in that neck of the woods. Edited by - Dick H on 15 Nov 2010 8:53:35 PM
Merlin

g3l compression

Post by Merlin »

There's an old joke there but it's too risque for this forum!)
Chemists do it with test tubes
paul knapp

g3l compression

Post by paul knapp »

quote: tappets had wound themselves tight

Beware!
Tappet screws don't normally do this! The most probable reason that your tappet clearance had reduced is that your valve seats are burning or wearing away.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

wilko

g3l compression

Post by wilko »

You pessimist Paul!!
Duncan

g3l compression

Post by Duncan »

Paul, I would agree that they should not do this, however (why is it there is always a however) after rebuilding the top end on my G3 earlier this year and double checking the clearances after warming the engine up I had lost compression when trying to restart after a 20 mile run due to the pushrods tightening up, covered over 2000 miles since then with no problems?
A similar occurrence happened to an experienced mechanic friend of mine when we were riding down to the Cornwall Jampot.
itma

g3l compression

Post by itma »

the pushrods don't tighten up[unless the locknut is loose] what happens is it all beds down, seats etc too , quite a surprising amount, happens with most rebuilt engines unless you give them a bit of slack to allow for bedding in.
paul knapp

g3l compression

Post by paul knapp »

Had the same experiance myself couple of months ago on my Trumpet ....New valves, seats cut, guides, dressed the rockers and tappet screws, new nuts etc. Set the tappet clearances to .010"(standard) and after five hundred miles, found one valve had nill clearance (and low compression on that cylinder) while the remaining valves had closed up considerably. I have put this down to the valves and valve train settling down and the re-tensioning of the barrel base and head nuts........I hope!... I know the tappet lock nuts were tight.
Now after another 400 miles, judging by the rattles and good compression, all is well!

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!